Valued Contributor

I grow my own herbs and I get my spices from an Amish Community.

Beckyblbu

Valued Contributor

At the end of the year I go through my spices and throw out the old ones. I recently discovered The Spice House flatpacks and ordered serveral from them. They ship free and are far better than what I can find in the supermarket. 

Respected Contributor

I replace when they are way past their expiration date or when I run out or it gets low...  

I usually buy from Penzeys.

Honored Contributor

I just went through all mine. Threw out quite a bit. I now have a list of the ones we use more of so I can get a handle on amount I order.

Received a $50 gift card at Christmas fro Penzey's.

I had just over $100 in my cart but decided to take out half since Penzey's has a $50 gift card for $35 today.

I ordered just over $60 today & used my gift card so it was only $13.

I also bought one of the $50 gift cards for $35 today.

I will use it for the stuff I took out of my cart.

Now I will have fresh spices.

Buying in smaller quantity to keep fresh on hand.

I buy the things we use more of in the bags if it's sold that way & refill my jars.

Penzey's also has Vanilla on sale today.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I just cleaned out my spices, probably tossed about half of them.   

I do write the date with a sharpie when a  new one goes in my cabinet.

Although I don't cook much anymore, I use a lot of spices & they get used up pretty regularly.  I only buy spices that I use, I don't buy a spice for just one recipe then never use it again.

I just treat it like anything in my pantry.   When I see anything that's been around for a while & hasn't been used, it gets tossed.  I don't have a lot of storage area.

There's a Penzey's store about 10 miles from me, I've been a couple of times, I do love the store.   The lady that runs it is so nice.    Mr Penzey is certifiable but if we were to know the head of all corporations like we know him, we would never buy anything.  He's only  harming himself, he's no danger to my lifestyle.

@software 

I noticed on my newer spices from Penzey's there is a date on the jar you can read without figuring out the numbers/letters.

Honored Contributor

I buy organic from the bulk section at my grocery store----I only buy small amounts to make sure they get used up before they go bad----

Respected Contributor
Unfortunately, Wegmans stopped carrying the SPICE ISLANDS brand a few months back. They let shoppers know that they would be ordering ONLY their Beau Monde, at holiday time, but that this line would no longer be availabe in ANY of their stores. Tops doesn't carry it any longer, either.

Sadly for me lol, I used a number of SI spices--crushed rosemary (must be crushed), and their sweet basil leaves, to name a couple. The McCormick's Gourmet used to be a good choice, but that's getting scarce, too.

What worries you masters you.