Valued Contributor

I love tomatoes Rockefellar, a thick slice of fresh tomato with a spinach mixture on top.  The spinach mixture can be made days ahead and assembled last minute.  Short baking time of 15 minutes.  I will post the recipe if anyone is interested.

Respected Contributor

@m0rgan Sounds lovely.  When you get a chance I'd love to have your recipe for this.

Thank you,

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@magnus   Sure can.  Here it is:

Italian Sauce Chuck Roast

Take a 2 and 1/2 to 3 lb. chuck roast.  Season well with ground black pepper and kosher salt on both sides.

Heat a sturdy cast enamel Dutch oven or covered deep skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and sear the chuck well on both sides.  Set to one side.

Add 1/2 lb. or more of fresh mushrooms to the drippings and saute and set aside.  Do the same with one onion, diced, and 5 or 6 cloves of smashed garlic.

Return the roast to the pan and cover with enough jarred tomato sauce (I used Ragu traditional today) to almost cover and then add 2 Tbsp. oregano, 2 Tbsp. rosemary, 1 Tsp. garlic powder, 1 Tbsp. summer savory, a dash of white pepper, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, 1 cup of beef stock, 1/2 to 1 cup of good red wine, a squeeze of anchovy paste (optional) and some freshly chopped or dried parsley.

Bring up to high heat then cover and simmer on very low for 3 to 4 hrs.

Remove meat to a platter, place sauce in the freezer for a few minutes to skim off fat, then reheat sauce to serve with the beef, which should be fall apart tender.

aroc3435

@aroc3435  thanks for posting this as this is something I would love to try (and thanks to @magnus  for asking).  I love chuck roast but I have never seen this recipe, can't wait to try it! . . . Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe   Well thank you.  You can vary this by using the same ingredients and cooking method with double thick bone in pork chops.  Be sure to slash the fat that surrounds each chop so that they don't curl up while cooking.

If you have homemade leftover meatless--marinara--sauce in the freezer you can use that instead of the jarred sauce.

Many, many years ago an Italian American friend told me her family's secret for making Sunday "gravy" as they called it was to throw one raw pork chop into the sauce while it was slowly bubbling on low heat all day and to put a couple of pinches of sugar as well to forestall any bitterness in the tomatoes.

Best wishes,

aroc3435

Valued Contributor

@aroc3435 

Baked Tomatoes Rockefeller

2 (10 oz.) packages chopped spinach

1 medium onion chopped

6 green onions chopped

1/2 tsp. mnced garlic

1/2 cup olive oil or butter

6 eggs slightly beaten

2 cups seasoned bread crumbs, divided

1/4 tsp. Tabasco

1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. thyme

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

12 thick tomato slices

Cook spinach according to directions and set aside. Drain as much water as possible by wringing out in a kitchen towel.  Saute all onions and garlic in olive oil.Remove from heat and set aside.  To spinach, add eggs, 1 cup breadcrumbs, sauteed onions and garlic. tabasco sauce, worcestershire sauce, seasonings and cheese.  (Can be made ahead to this point)  Arrange tomato slices on a lined cookie sheet or buttered dish.  Mound spinach mixture onto each slice.  Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.  Spinach mixture also freezes well.  12 Servings

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 Oh GOSH!  That looks fantastic!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: side dish suggestions

[ Edited ]

I'd put pear halves in juice on a lettice leaf with a little grated cheddar.

That's always an easy addition.  I also keep applesauce which I put in a custard cup.

Honored Contributor

Waldorf salad!  Big chunks nice juicy apples, organic celery (it really does taste better!) if you can get it, nice big bits of walnuts, and some (not too much!) mayo.  A little squeeze of lemon juice something is good too.

Honored Contributor

Braised cabbage would be great 

Contributor

All of the suggestions made sound great. I am not at home right now but I should be there by the end of the week. I will post the recipe then.