Trusted Contributor

not all sour cream is the same

you need to read the label and make sure it is 100 % sour cream.  korger brand is nothing more then milk that is thickened with corn starch.  daisy, tillamonk and darigold are the only brads that i have found that are 100 % cream.  why pay cream prices for milk and corn starch?

Honored Contributor

Re: not all sour cream is the same

I use Organic Valley Sour Cream or Daisy brand.

Guess you have to read all the label nowadays.

Respected Contributor

We are a Daisy family & I like their cottage cheese too.

Respected Contributor

wow! you are correct. i just googled about 5 or 6 different brands, and none of them had the cornstarch in them like the kroger brand does. 

did it taste different to you?  or did you just happen to notice the list of ingredents?

Honored Contributor

i usually buy DAISY, but sometimes buy breakstone or the store brand or members mark from sams club.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I have used the Kroger brand, mostly because I hate the "dollop of Daisy" commercial. LOL

It tastes good. Works well in my recipes. And, is less expensive than the name brands, so it isn't really "cream" prices.

But, I never really thought about it not being sour cream. I will pay closer attention from now on.

Honored Contributor

For sure they don't all taste alike nor do all have the same consistency.

I don't buy all that much sour cream and when I do, I read for the fat, the cholesteral, and the sodium.  Those are my major 3 -  then the calories.  No Krogers near me, but I'll look at my store brand for its thickener next time I shop -  now I'm curious!

Respected Contributor

I've preferred the Darigold Mexian style sour cream but see they also add cornstarch.  Reading about sour cream additives in wiki, I see stabalizers help keep brands creamy, from separating, and add shelf life rather than just stretching a product to save a dime.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No one here is a big fan of sour cream period, so I buy the cheapest store brand I can find.   

Trusted Contributor

it makes a difewrence in recipes that call for sour cream.  if you don't use reall sour cream, then it won't turn out as desired.