Esteemed Contributor

making stuffing day before thanksgiving

[ Edited ]

do you bake it on wednesday....or on thanksgiving....does it dry out day before...or can you just add more liquid when re-heating....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: making stuffing day before thanksgiving

I put mine in a crockpot the morning of Thanksgiving.

Esteemed Contributor

Me - day before - gives it time to 'season' in.

Cover with alum or plastic and refrigerate.  IF on the dry side Turkey day.....add some chicken broth or water.  Bake as planned.

Honored Contributor

Heres a wonderful recipe that is always moist and stays that way.  Just omit the chicken if serving with turkey.

Screenshot_20211029-142527_Gallery.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

so you refrigerate unbaked....and bake it on thanksgiving?  don't know when making stuffing got so confusing for me.....guess it's my age.....

Esteemed Contributor

I used to just make it in the bird but it took forever to get cooked. A couple of years ago I just mixed everything up and put it in the crockpot to cook. Turns out moist, hot and yummy, I just use the seasoned bread, celery, onion, broth and butter. Im all for simple.

Honored Contributor

wednesday all of the onions and celery get chopped and put into ziploc bags.

next day......they get mixed in with the bread crumbs, eggs, broth,  seasonings,and butter and baked in a separate pan next to the turkey.....turkey juices get added in periodically. turns out moist and delicious!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Heres a wonderful recipe that is always moist and stays that way.  Just omit the chicken if serving with turkey.

That's what we would do only omit the eggs, use about half that much onion and celery and saute in butter, and an 8" pan of cornbread crumbled with Italian seasoning mixed in along with the sauteed onion and celery.

We would mix the mushroom soup with as much broth as needed to come to the top of the cornbread mix and put in in a pan and bake, adding more broth if needed.

I add a dash of dry sherry to the soup and broth sometimes or just a squirt of lemon juice to cut the sweetness of the soup.  

I've made the mix a day ahead (no eggs remember), put it in the pan, gone ahead and baked it with a little more broth and reheated it, and even frozen it well wrapped, thawed it out on the day and heated and served.  All has been good!

Sometimes we add mushrooms, or mushrooms and cooked and crumbled hot sausage! 

Esteemed Contributor

I make mine a day ahead but I do not bake it till the day that I am serving my Turkey .

For those who do not like Turkey , I've made a small pork roast with a pineapple dressing  that  contains onions, celery and poultry seasoning .

Honored Contributor

@nana59   Always fresh, I wouldn't risk it...on the other hand, pies I will make the day before.  Happy Thanksgiving!