Respected Contributor

I'd love to have a mortar and pestle...im thinking mainly for garlic, and some parsley or basil.  So many materials out there...what's the best?

Esteemed Contributor

My husband bought one years ago to mash up stuff for cocktails.  It takes some effort - he lost interest real fast.  LOL

It was white like marble material.........that's all the help I can offer.  Check Amazon or bar section of William & Soyna ? spelling.  

Honored Contributor

@fthunt 

Mine is marble, I use it for a multitude of things from the kitchen to crushing meds for the furbabies!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I think I saw a set at the restaurant supply store. I so enjoy going there. Their assortment of equipment is very complete. 

Esteemed Contributor

If you want easy -  get that little copper with a string from QVC.  It's cheap and does a great job............even David V's Mother loves it.

I use it for tuna - celery - onions - everything.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin  I use a marble one for crushing cardamom seeds, etc. It's small, so not really good for pesto. It's weird because the title says marble, but the description says granite. I think it's marble. $12.99 on Amazon.

Respected Contributor

Lava stone Mexican molcajete is the only one my family has ever known and I can’t imagine not having it.

Happy thanksgiving and have fun with your mortar & pestle!

Contributor

Try Home Goods...if one is not near you, they now have an on-line site and you can check there!  I have a wooden one that I love for herbs.  

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

I think I saw a set at the restaurant supply store. I so enjoy going there. Their assortment of equipment is very complete. 

That's where i bought mine.  It is a Cilio Frieling brand made of granite.  It cost about $65.

Trusted Contributor

I have two; one is ceramic (purchased from a local gourmet grocery) and the other is stainless steel (purchased from Amazon). I prefer the stainless steel because it is sturdy.