Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd

Hi, Tryin to stick with the plant-based eating and got a question for you. I keep hearing how tasty the nutritional yeast is but wondering - would a regular grocery store carry it, and if so what section would it I find it in? TIA

⚓️
Honored Contributor

Re: great mashed potatoes.

[ Edited ]

@LoveMyBabyGood question....I do all my shopping at Sam's, Costco, Trader Joes, Sprouts, and Whole Foods.  I'm rarely in a regular grocery store.

If there is nothing close to you, you could order from Amazon.  I use Kal nutritional yeast flakes (the large can on sale now on Amazon).  It lasts a long time.

You might want to try a smaller quantity for your first purchase. You can buy a much smaller amount from Braggs (which you might be able to purchase at a regular grocery store) to test if you like it.  If you have a Trader Joe's close by, they sell NY in a small bag. If you have a Sprouts/Whole Foods, they have it in a bin where you can measure out the amount you want.

NY subs for a cheesy taste and I frequently add it to plant gravies.  I sometimes add it to dressings, and hubby likes some sprinkled on popcorn.  

Congratulations on going plant based....such a beautiful way of life.

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd

Thank you, I agree. I'm about 75% there. It's a process. I do have a Trader Joe's so will check there. My area Kroger sells Bob's Red Mill, but limited products. I would like to try it on popcorn. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

A small amount of just plain cream cheese is good too.

Valued Contributor

If you have a Wegman's they carry it. It's so good on popcorn and other dishes.  I use it to make a cheesy sauce for macaroni.

Trusted Contributor

One of my favorite cheeses to have on crackers, but never thought of putting it in mashed potatoes! I'll have to give it a try! I buy it at Publix, & have even found it at Aldi's once. 

Frequent Contributor

Hello!

Having been Vegetarian since January 1, 2013 ( and on and off my entire life) I made the lifestyle choice to become Vegan 2 years ago, for ethical spiritual environmental and health reasons.  

Nutritional Yeast Flakes  (NYF) are a staple in my diet.  They are a source for essential Vitamin B 12, which is lacking in a Vegan diet.  Most supermarkets now carry them, especially in the natural foods section with most have now.  Sometimes in bulk.  Bragg makes delicious NYF.  

Im sharing my favorite recipe, which I use on everything!  Pasta potatoes rice pizza popcorn roasted veggies, you name it...any recipe that calls for Parmesan...

CASHEW ALMOND PARMESAN

1/2 c raw cashews

1/2 c raw almonds

1/4 c Nutritional Yeast Flakes

1/2 t Sea Salt

1/4 t garlic powder

whizz all in a food processor or Vitamix, combine to a powder.  Do not over process.  Store in jar on fridge.  Enjoy!!

Esteemed Contributor

Boursin is also delicious when spread on a hamburger and melted during the last few minutes of cooking.  

Respected Contributor

Alouette makes a similar cheese mixture which is also pretty good.  The supermarkets typically put Boursin and/or this brand on sale around the holidays.

Thank you for the idea of adding to mashed potatoes or topping a burger.  I've always just used it as part of a cheese board as an appetizer.

Honored Contributor

I can purchase Boursin year round in Wegman's in the Specialty Cheese Shoppe and YES!  It is fab in mashed pots!  I also add it to many 'creamed sauces'.

Aldi's shoppers....keep your eyes open for it. 

When they have it, it is $1.00 - $1.50 cheaper than Wegmans!