Trusted Contributor

oysters?  i bought acouple of jars and am going to fry them.  i like them but not in stew.

Honored Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover

Yes! Love them in Thanksgiving dressing!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

Re: do you like

[ Edited ]

I love them fried in a batter of milk, egg and cracker meal, smoked in tins like sardines are packaged and as an ingredient in oyster dressing.  I’ve never cooked any oysters.  My father used to fry them from his outings on the river.  I sure wished I had asked him exactly how he made them but he passed on before I developed an interest in cooking.  I buy the tins of smoked oyster by the case from Aldi’s.  I haven’t had oyster dressing in forever since a coworker friend  who used to share hers with me moved to another state.  I don't think I would like them in stew either.

Honored Contributor

I love fresh fried oysters. Houston and New Orleans have the best.

Super Contributor

Love oysters, half shell, cooked, anyway they're prepared, can't get enough.

Honored Contributor

No.   I don’t eat anything seafood related.   

Respected Contributor

Yes!  Half shell with maybe a bit of lemon juice. fried.  in a nice milky stew.  Love 'em.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the flavor that they give to milk based oyster stew, but I don't eat them. Oyster stew was a family tradition on Christmas Eve when I was growing up. Milk, butter, celery salt, and oysters....wonderful memories!

Respected Contributor

@shortbreadlover  Yes--Yummy!  As an adult love raw oysters on the half shell.  As a child liked them in stuffing and as oyster stew.

Milford, Connecticut has a weekend event on a Friday/Saturday each year known as the Milford Oyster Festival.  Saturday has the main events.  The 45th one will be held in mid August, 2019.  When I lived in the area I went every year.

Wonderful event, large, varied assortment of oysters, and oyster dishes, and other festival foods in booths and restaurants near the historic green in the center of the town. Craft vendors, live music, vintage car show, children's activities, sailing ship type availability, and on and on.  Supports community non profits.  Local small businesses have fabulous sales as well.

Mark it on your calendar (use search engine to get the exact Friday & Saturday dates) if you will be visiting the area and book a room as close as possible to the site (much better to walk than to drive and park) as early as possible since hotels, motels, and B & Bs sell out early each year.