Esteemed Contributor

has anyone made cherry sauce for cheesecake topping...if so, did you like it....and if you did like it, could you share your recipe....i will be using frozen cherries....i know there are many recipes online, but wondering if you have a "tried and true" recipe.  thank you...

Regular Contributor

I use canned cherry pie filling.

Super Contributor

I also use canned cherry pie filling and think it is great, but will be watching here to see if there are other recipes I'd like to try.

Honored Contributor

Ingredients

• 16 ounces cherries (frozen or fresh, pitted)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh)

Steps to Make It

1. Gather the ingredients.

Cherry Sauce Recipe

2. In a medium saucepan, bring the cherries, sugar, and water to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often.

Cherry Sauce Recipe

3. In a small bowl, stir the lemon juice and cornstarch together until smooth.

Cherry Sauce Recipe

4. Whisk it into the boiling cherry mixture.

5. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. You don't want this sauce to scorch on the bottom.

Cherry Sauce Recipe

6. Cook until the liquid has thickened, which should take about 1 more minute.

7. Remove the pot from the heat and taste. You can add a little extra sugar or lemon juice if needed at this point, depending on your personal preference.

8. Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature and serve over ice cream or cheesecake.

Cherry Sauce Recipe

You can store the sauce in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Serve it cold or warm it up in the microwave or on the stovetop.

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

Ingredients

• 16 ounces cherries (frozen or fresh, pitted)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh)

Steps to Make It

1. Gather the ingredients.

Cherry Sauce Recipe

2. In a medium saucepan, bring the cherries, sugar, and water to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often.

Cherry Sauce Recipe

3. In a small bowl, stir the lemon juice and cornstarch together until smooth.

Cherry Sauce Recipe

4. Whisk it into the boiling cherry mixture.

5. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. You don't want this sauce to scorch on the bottom.

Cherry Sauce Recipe

6. Cook until the liquid has thickened, which should take about 1 more minute.

7. Remove the pot from the heat and taste. You can add a little extra sugar or lemon juice if needed at this point, depending on your personal preference.

8. Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature and serve over ice cream or cheesecake.

Cherry Sauce Recipe

You can store the sauce in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Serve it cold or warm it up in the microwave or on the stovetop.

thank you....

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123, thank you for the recipe and pictures!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

Trader Joe’s sell morello cherries in the jar , very good w cheesecake 

Respected Contributor

@GinzTonic     Trader Joe also sell jars of Amarena pitted cherries that are also quite good.  Price is much more reasonable for these jarred cherries than at places like Sur La Table.

These cherries can be used in drinks or my favorite--spooned over devils food cake then topped with whipped cream.

Honored Contributor

I make a really good fresh cranberry- dried cherry,  sauce, that would fab for a cheescake----very easy and so good. It is slightly tart from the cran b's but I like that to freshen up the sweet/savory of a cheesecake.