Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your potato salad recipe...

Image4.jpg

You mean like this!  Looks so yummy!

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Sometimes, I use a tip I saw years ago  for seasoning potato salad.

I use a very small amount of Italian oil/vinegar type dressing on the warm potatoes, gently toss them and then refrigerate before later adding celery, spring onions, and a mixture of mayo (always Dukes or Hellmanns) and a little mustard.

Dill is always good in that type of salad, too.

Sometimes, I add chopped hard-cooked eggs.   If I want the salad to stick around for a couple of days, I'd prefer not to include eggs.

Thanks for reminding me!  I remember reading or hearing that also.  Gonna try it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My MIL who was born and raised in Europe never used any mayo on her potato salad.

She  would use oil and vinegar and salt pepper and onions and add it to warm cubed potatoes.

You  could eat it ASAP or serve it cold the next day.  It's very good and safer to carry when the weather is hot.  No mayo to spoil.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills,

That picture reminds me of the way my mother and grandmother presented their potato salad.   It was full of celery, homemade bread n butter pickles, and onions.   The dressing was cooked, cooled, and poured over the potatoes.  

As a child, ate the egg yolks in potato salad, and picked out all pieces of egg white.   As an adult I learned I am allergic to egg whites, so there are no eggs in my potato salad.   My family prefers a dressing of yellow mustard, mayo, vinegar, sugar, and celery seed.   

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Sometimes, I use a tip I saw years ago  for seasoning potato salad.

I use a very small amount of Italian oil/vinegar type dressing on the warm potatoes, gently toss them and then refrigerate before later adding celery, spring onions, and a mixture of mayo (always Dukes or Hellmanns) and a little mustard.

Dill is always good in that type of salad, too.

Sometimes, I add chopped hard-cooked eggs.   If I want the salad to stick around for a couple of days, I'd prefer not to include eggs.

@novamc1   That is a good tip about using Italian dressing. I bet it gives the potatoes a good flavor. I am going to try it.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My MIL who was born and raised in Europe never used any mayo on her potato salad.

She  would use oil and vinegar and salt pepper and onions and add it to warm cubed potatoes.

You  could eat it ASAP or serve it cold the next day.  It's very good and safer to carry when the weather is hot.  No mayo to spoil.

@Carmie  I have done this with baby potatoes on the grill. The char from the grill gives a good flavor.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234  Never tried that, but that does sound good.  I am going to try it.

thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your great comments and suggestions.  I'm ready for some potato salad!

Esteemed Contributor

I can't imagine only 3 tablespoons of mayo for a pound of potatoes.....I'm not knocking anyone who does, but that's not enough for my potato salad (I realize she suggested more mayo for those folks who like it creamier). I always add a little vinegar and sugar to the mayo - it gives the dressing some zip. And I never make potato salad without chopped celery, onion and HB eggs along with plenty of salt and pepper - no relish or mustard. I've used Duke's in the past, and it's really good, but I always go back to Hellman's. My step-son always asks me to bring potato salad for family events - and I love making it for him. No matter what your recipe is, there's nothing like homemade potato salad!

Super Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Carmie wrote:
Also it  needs chopped HB eggs, they are an important ingredient, not a garnish.

I have never in my 68 yrs heard of anyone using HB eggs as a garnish on potato salad.  Matter of fact I have never "seen" a HB egg garnished potato salad.

Many potato salads include HB eggs. This is NOT an unusual ingredient.