Honored Contributor

Re: Your potato salad recipe...

@Nadine O wrote:

I am PA Dutch and we always put hard boiled eggs in our potato salad along with minced celery and minced onion.   I use a boiled dressing that I love.  

@Nadine O

Is German Potato Salad the same as PA Dutch Potato Salad?  Salad is "da bomb!"  Hard to find in my neck of the woods. icon_exclaim.gif

Sometimes I purchase "Philadelphia Potato Salad" directly from the Amish.  I am addicted to their salad.  They now sell it in Walmart.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@sol_luna wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Carmie wrote:
Also it  needs chopped HB eggs, they are an important ingredient, not a garnish.

I have never in my 68 yrs heard of anyone using HB eggs as a garnish on potato salad.  Matter of fact I have never "seen" a HB egg garnished potato salad.

Many potato salads include HB eggs. This is NOT an unusual ingredient.

@sol_luna  I realize that!!!!  But, NOT sitting on top of the potato salad.  I've just never seen or heard of that before. 

"Real" down home potato salad, the boiled egges are mixed in the salad, NOT used for garnishment sitting on top of the salad.

I've seen "deviled eggs" displayed as garnishment layed AROUND the potato salad on a plate.  NEVER on the salad itself.  Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

While we are on the subject......Italian dressing in potato salad???  My ancestors are rolling in their graves.  To each his own.  The things I have learned on the internet. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@sol_luna wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Carmie wrote:
Also it  needs chopped HB eggs, they are an important ingredient, not a garnish.

I have never in my 68 yrs heard of anyone using HB eggs as a garnish on potato salad.  Matter of fact I have never "seen" a HB egg garnished potato salad.

Many potato salads include HB eggs. This is NOT an unusual ingredient.

@sol_luna  I realize that!!!!  But, NOT sitting on top of the potato salad.  I've just never seen or heard of that before. 

"Real" down home potato salad, the boiled egges are mixed in the salad, NOT used for garnishment sitting on top of the salad.

I've seen "deviled eggs" displayed as garnishment layed AROUND the potato salad on a plate.  NEVER on the salad itself.  Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

While we are on the subject......Italian dressing in potato salad???  My ancestors are rolling in their graves.  To each his own.  The things I have learned on the internet. whistling.gif

It is a very southern thing to place slices of HB eggs on the top of potato salad as a garnishment.  Of course, we put chopped HB eggs inside the salad as well.  Delicious.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I doubt anyone would guess that there is any Italian salad dressing in my potato salad when I use it.

The subject  of the  OP was "seasoning" for the salad.  As far as I know, Italian dressing is primarily oil, vinegar, salt, pepper  and some herbs. 

It's a shortcut to adding herbs separately if seasoning is desired, and seems to reduce the need for so much mayonnaise to moisten the salad.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills We go to an Italian Specialty/Deli/Food Store called Iavarone Bros. Foods. They make the best Italian Potato Salad. No mayo, as I would make it. We love their Italian Potato Salad. I have tried to duplicate it but to no avail. I asked them for the recipe, he told me the ingredients ( not unlike Italian Dressing ) but again, I can't duplicate theirs. So, we give them an order the night before we want it and we pick up several pounds the next day with a lot of other items. Sooooo good! I've also had German Potato Salad, again no mayo but it had bacon pieces in it. I like any potato salad whether with or without mayo. I have seen it made with HB eggs. Any which way you like it, enjoy!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

That looks exactly like my recipe except I use regular yellow prepared mustard, not Dijon.

I use the sweet pickle relish, some in my family prefer dill relish.

I wonder which one Jayne uses?

@software, I've always used sweet pickle relish in my potato salad but just recently I've started using both sweet and dill in it. And I really like it better that way. I probably use a little more of the sweet then the dill, but they're both in there together happily coexisting. LOL!    

And for another take on the "garnishing" issue that's been discussed, I had a friend who garnished her potato salad with sliced pimento stuffed green olives. It was particularly festive looking when she brought it to our office Christmas party. And it was tasty, too!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Nadine O wrote:

I am PA Dutch and we always put hard boiled eggs in our potato salad along with minced celery and minced onion.   I use a boiled dressing that I love.  

@Nadine O

Is German Potato Salad the same as PA Dutch Potato Salad?  Salad is "da bomb!"  Hard to find in my neck of the woods. icon_exclaim.gif

Sometimes I purchase "Philadelphia Potato Salad" directly from the Amish.  I am addicted to their salad.  They now sell it in Walmart.

@Mz iMac No, German potato salad isn't like PA Dutch potato salad. An Austrian friend of my mother's made the best German potato salad. It has a warm vinegar/sugar/bacon dressing. Good ole PA Dutch potato salad is mayo based and includes onion, celery and hard boiled eggs. At least that's my experience in our family.

Respected Contributor

I'm from the South and still live in the South but I can not stand Dukes Mayo..  For a long time I would not even eat mayo because of the thoughts of Dukes Mayo...  I will eat any mayo but Dukes...   I guess it was just too eggy...

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

It must be a Southern thing.  My mother always put hard boiled eggs in potato salad.   And I do too when I make it.  And I'm 68 years old too.  My mother would have been 91 this year....

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo

That is how I make mine, when I make it.    Potatoes, mayo, MW, pickles, chopped hard boiled eggs. S&P, yellow mustard.  

Do NOT get any kind of onion anywhere near my potato salad.