Honored Contributor

Re: YOUR MUST HAVE SEASONINGS & CONDIMENTS

[ Edited ]

I love Everything But The Bagel seasoning, I usually buy it from Trader Joe's but there is a brand I bought at the supermarket Badia (I haven't used it yet). I use a lot of oregano and basil, also salt and pepper. I forgot about cinnamon, nutmeg, and apple pie.

Respected Contributor

One of my favorite blends is Fox Point from the company that-must-not-be-named.  (Harry Potter fans will get it.)

It contains salt, freeze-dried shallots, chives, garlic, onion and green peppercorns - all my favorites.  DH prefers cooking with individual spices, so we have a lot of their spices, as they offer really fresh products and I order when there are freebies and free shipping.

Condiments are similar to @aroc3435, minus a few.  But I  really get into the flavored vinegars.

Denise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435 I'll see you all of that and raise you:

Garlic and onion powder

Paula Deen house seasoning 

Chili powder

About 6 hot sauces

Dixie chow chow (condiement?)

Sport peppers in vinegar

Truffle salt

Celery salt

Dill

Italian Herb Mix--I use it in everything but Wheaties! 

GOOD Sherry Vinegar

Rotel Tomatoes and Peppers

Mustard powder and Mustards 

Lots of different vinegars

Lemons and limes to juice over about everything

And cumin by the buckets for Mexican and Middle Eastern

Respected Contributor

What @RedTop said, except that I also need ginger, turmeric, and tarragon. I just use black pepper, too.

And peeled, whole garlic cloves are always in the freezer.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

Anyone ever roast garlic and store in freezer?  We used to do it all the time, don't know why we stopped.

Lots of tips online.

Denise
Trusted Contributor

@denisemb  Most of my herbs and spices are from Penzey also. I love their Sunny Spain right now.

Honored Contributor

I have way too many of both.

Cumin
Smoked Paprika
Cinnamon
Chili Powder
Chipolte Powder
Tarragon
Garam Masala
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Pico Fruta
Chinese 5 Spice
Fennel Seed
Ginger

Madras Curry

I have more but those spices I use the most.  

Soy Sauce (3 kinds)
Dijon Mustard
Blue Cheese Mustard
Spicy Brown Mustard
Mayo
Sherry Vinegar
Red Wine and White Wine Vinegar
Rice Vinegar
Tarragon Vinegar
Sriracha
Hoisin Sauce
Fish Sauce
Chili-Garlic Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435, I'm enjoying the topic! I'd love to know how you use summer savory and where do you get it? I've heard of savory, but not summer savory. I have a cabinet full of spices I may have bought for one recipe and then it sits there. I need to make more of an effort! 

Respected Contributor

@daisyk   For years I bought summer savory in the supermarket when they carried Spice Islands brand.  Then local stores in Connecticut where I lived until retiring stopped carrying it so I found an online site called My Grocery Store, or some similar name, where I had to buy three jars of it, minimum.  

Then that site vanished.

In the fall of 2017 I retired and moved to DC and was down to 1 jar.  Finally found a different source on Amazon (Denver Spice and Herb) and now purchase their brand.  4 oz is around $7.00.

It has a less sharp taste than the more common savory.  I use it in soups, beef stew, pot roast, rice bake, chicken, turkey or beef pot pies, and even many times in my Italian style spaghetti sauce.

I have many more spicesand so forth than I listed in my original post--like red pepper flakes, and liquid smoke.

I use a little celery seed in lots of things, too.  I especially like a little in my macaroni and potato salads, along with white pepper.

White pepper is good in mashed potatoes, white sauces, and creamed soups.

In a Bolognese tomato sauce a tiny bit of cinnamon is good.  Same with the Cincinnati version of chili, which I serve over chili mac (tiny cooked pasta tubes).

A few drops of Worcestershire sauce can add depth to sauces that have beef as part of the recipe.

Sorry for rambling on so, but I feel like we are sitting here together and swapping ideas.  That to me is the best way to avoid getting into a cooking rut--by chatting with someone else about food and what might be good . . .

Cheers!

aroc3435 

Honored Contributor

Like many here, I have a lot of spices/condiments but the ones I probably grab the most often, besides salt and pepper, would be....

Lemon-Pepper Seasoning

Italian Seasoning

Garlic Salt

Minced Garlic

Worcestershire Sauce

EVOO