Trusted Contributor

Re: Who is your favorite cookbook author?

Amazon lists several Gooseberry Patch cookbooks published in 2018.  One titled "One Pot Wonders" will be released on July 17, 2018. 

Honored Contributor

Ree Drummond and Paula Deen

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Julia Child.  We used to watch the re-runs of her shows and then cook what she made.

Second is Nigella Lawson.  Just like her casual style.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

As much as she aggravates me with her fake Southern drawl, I have to admit that Paula Deen is my  "go to" cookbook.  Her recipes usually have few ingredients that you probably have on hand, and, if you follow them exactly, they turn out with no surprises or fails.   I have hundreds of vintage cookbooks and I take one look at the time and ingredients involved and  it's one of those "nope" moments. 

I just made a sour cream pound cake today by the recipe in The Lady and Sons original cookbook.  It's perfection !!

Honored Contributor

I used to collect cookbooks.  I had probably over 100 of them from everywhere.

My favorite one came from a friend of mine.  She worked for a Senator over in DC.  

I don't know if they still do it, but back in the 60's and 70's the wives of Senators and Congressmen got together and printed a cookbook from each state.  Supposedly they were recipes from the family in that state.

I'd sit and read them (there was info about the state along with the recipes).

It was a collector's prize.  A few years ago, after my husband died and I stopped cooking, I gave most of the cookbooks away.  I gave that one to a very dear friend.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Julia Child.  We used to watch the re-runs of her shows and then cook what she made.

Second is Nigella Lawson.  Just like her casual style.

@Drythe.  Love Nigella.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Paula Deen’s cookbooks

I also like cookbooks, such as those put together by church ladies. I use recipes rom those more often than any other. 

Trusted Contributor

@MeowingkittyFannie Farmer!  I have a cookbook of hers too!  Great,

simple and delicious recipes.  Thanks for mentioning

this.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal

Two-part answer.

When I got married, my mother-in-law gave me her first edition Julia Child cookbook and New York Times cookbook, both of which I still use, 49 years later.  As shower gifts, also received the Betty Crocker Cookbook and the Better Homes Cookbook.  Am making the Betty Crocker Peach Cobbler today, using the recipe from that very book. We just love that cobbler recipe.

Though I have over 300 cookbooks, right now my fav is Bobby Flay.  Now, don't go all weird on me.  This guy knows herbs, spices, grilling and so much more at an extremely high level. In the last 3 months, we have enjoyed some spectacular meals.  I've now "canned" one of his grilled meat sauces and have one of his rubs always on hand for grilling steaks.

My favorite pastry books right now are one I've had for years which focuses on German pastries (it's falling apart - so sad); two books from the series "The Great British Bake Off;" and one of Paul Hollywood's bread books.

Still cherish the old and immensely enjoying and using the heck out of the new.

Valued Contributor

I love Susan Branch's  "Heart of the Home" cookbook. The recipes are tasty, and the design and illustrations are so charming.