Valued Contributor

What makes your stuffing special...

[ Edited ]

I never want to stop learning new things.. so  my question what makes  your stuffing special ? i use my homade sourdough  and corn bread.  Homade chicken stock,pork sausage apples, fresh cranberries, roasted chestnuts,celery , onions ,peppers, i brought in huge pots of herbs from the garden so i will add sage parsley and a touch  chives. I cook mine in a crockpot than oven for some crisp edges. looking so forward to your ideas and tricks. We never know what we will discover  and love!Enjoy the holiday planning!thanks, Maryanne

Honored Contributor

Re: What makes your stuffing special...

@Keeper of the koi I don't think yours could be improved...sounds absolutely perfect and all homemade ingredients!

Trusted Contributor

You've got it - homemade bread and cornbread, fresh herbs, real butter. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not a stuffing fan but make and like this recipe  I had stuffing at a restuarant that was made like bread pudding no onions or celery pieces but had the bread pieces and browned sausage soaked in white gravy, then the milk/egg/butter mix mixed in, seasoned with sage and parsley  and baked.  Most like the other type of stuffing with all the stuff in it though.

Valued Contributor

I add about  1/4 to 1/2 cup of parmesean cheese to mine 'Cathy  from ma

Honored Contributor

Can you believe I don't eat it...at all..but I make it and I've been told it tastes delicious.  Here's what I put in it:

Peppridge Farm Sage Stuffing, extra sage, 2 eggs 2 sticks of real butter, celery seed and chopped celery, Italian herb, poultry seasoning.  I mix it all up and put it in the turkey after its been washed and salted.  Then when the turkey is finished, I remove the stuffing and pour some of the juice over the stuffing (this gives it a nice crust over it).  I put that in a covered casserole dish (after pouring the juice over it) and cook in oven for about 1/2 hour.

Regular Contributor

I don't like stuffing but love cornbread dressing!!!!!  I use a recpe I got off a food blogger website.  It uses the normal ingredients:  cornbread, biscuits, celery, onion, chicken broth, milk, sage, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning.  However, one package of the cornbread mix is Mexican style.  OMGoodness, it makes the dressing smell and taste so good!  I always thought my mom's dressing was the best but this one has it beat hands down!

Honored Contributor

My mom's stuffing was white bread, onion, celery, sage, S & P, maybe some other seasoning, real butter, chopped apple, and chopped prunes.  I think she got it from my grandma.  When DH had his first Thanksgiving with my family, it was a bit of a surprise to him because his mom would make something out of a bag.  He prefers something more basic so my stuffing is just that.  I start with a bag of Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing Crumbs, add in sauteed onion and celery, use chicken stock instead of water, real butter, a few shakes of extra sage and poultry seasoning.  It's nothing fancy, but it works for us.

Valued Contributor

What makes your stuffing special...

I had a aha moment reading these replies.. lovely ladies seem to go by instinct and a little nostalgia .  what sweet stories but had an ingrediant  not 

so elusive   love... i hope your dressing is as beautiful as you are...Maryanne

Valued Contributor

Can somebody please tell me why the bread cubes or corn bread or whatever you use needs to be dried out or stale, what difference does it make?