Honored Contributor

Re: What makes your stuffing special...

Oysters.

Honored Contributor

It was my Mam-ma's recipe which there was not one so as a young wife and mom I had to sit down one year and watch her make it while I took notes.  She explained I would have to tweak it until I found the right way since her amounts were always a bit different each year.  By the third year I made it that was the one and my husband and son agreed.  So the notes I had made that third  year was my final version back in the early 90's.  Still have the paper.  Mam-Ma made it special, along with the homemade cornbread.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Mine does NOT use any bread, cornbread or croutons.  I found this recipe in a newspaper a million yrs. ago and it is requested every year.  No one wants the crouton stuffing anymore.

WILD RICE CHERRY STUFFING

¾ c wild rice (The long black rice, that doesn’t look like rice! I use Haddad House found in the rice section)

1 T olive oil

1 lb pork sausage (I use Bob Evans Regular, you can use Sage if desired)

2 c chopped onions  (or less)

Chopped celery

½ c Fennel Seeds (I use whole)

½ lb Shiitake, white, baby bella, or cremini mushrooms quartered (or a combo of mushrooms

1 bay leaf

¾ t salt

½ t freshly ground pepper

½ c fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped

½ c dried cherries or dried cranberries (I use more, sometimes a combo but mostly dried cherries. I have also used Craisins, dried oranges and dried blueberries!)

½ c white, brown or wild long-grain rice, cooked according to directions (I use easy Unc Ben in the pouch)

½ c slivered almonds

May add some chix. broth if needed

1. Cook black wild rice according to instructions on pkg. just until tender but still has a slight crunch, approx. 40-50 mins. Remove from heat and cool to room temp.
  2. Heat oil in large skillet. Add sausage and cook, breaking up w/ a spoon, 5 – 8 mins. till no longer pink. Add onions, fennel, mushrooms, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook till vegs soften approx. 5 mins. Add parsley and cherries, cook 2 mins. Remove from heat.
  3. Add brown/long-grain rice and almonds
  4. This is not a traditional bread/crouton stuffing.  If you wanted to, you could add some crushed croutons to 'bind' it or make it more 'stuffable'.

Delicious stuffed in the bird.  Excellent side dish as well.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife

This sounds wonderful to use as a side dish.  Do you make it ahead and reheat it?

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@RespectLife

This sounds wonderful to use as a side dish.  Do you make it ahead and reheat it?

@DiAnne

I definitely have.  It reheats very nicely and is great as a leftover too.  Probably the next day, though,  I may sprinkle some water or broth on it to 'refreshen' and moisten it up.

If I am stuffing the bird with it...I make it in the morning.  Eat a ton out of the pan (LOL) then let it cool to stuff.  In the bird, I was more tempted to add a handful of crushed stuffing mix to bind.

As a side, I don't bother w/ any bread/croutons.  I just casserole dish it and reheat gently.

We always smoke our turkeys now so I have been making it as a side.  I wanted to do a trial run and stuff it in a bird b4 smoking but I didn't get to it.  I was unsure how it would affect the cooking time...and Thanksgiving w/ guests may not be the best time to play around!

Since it has no eggs, I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be smoked in the bird.  I just need to try it some time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tend to go the way of having it be worth the trouble to spend a little more time on things because the end result being great is my only goal.

Several years ago I wrote a dressing recipe (I don't stuff - ick!) that we have really enjoyed.

One of the things that I think makes it special is that I buy a round of San Francisco style sourdough bread (not old/stale bread either - yuck!) and I cut it into cubes.  I get a gallon size baggie and put them in that with some olive oil and a number of herbs and spices.  Close that up with a lot of air in it so I can place it between my hands and shake it up to blend the oil, herbs, spices, and bread cubes.  (I make them kind of small-ish - maybe 1/2")

I lay those out on a baking tray and toast them in the oven.  I let them cool completely and then pour them into a L&L until I get the rest of the ingredients ready.    They are very flavorful.

Another thing I like about mine is that I cook up some wild rice in one pot and in another pan I cook a combination of regular and sage sausage (Jimmy Dean).   When they are both done I mix them together and set aside.

In the pan I used to cook the sausage I saute my veg. 

As I generally tend to do in cooking, I make sure each element is properly flavored.   The rest of it is probably fairly basic and it all ends up together in a big ss bowl to mix up and then into a baking dish.  I seal it up and in the refrigerator, if I'm baking it the next day.  (I forgot my schedule at this point, but it takes me a few days to get it all done)

Respected Contributor

I think it is all in the spices used.   I despise sage which is commonly used in stuffing.  

My family traditionally uses Summer Savory instead of sage.  Also use poutry seaosning, salt, pepper, mashed potatoes, toasted bread cubes, sautee onions, lots of butter, and fried cubed pork fat.  

Honored Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

I think it is all in the spices used.   I despise sage which is commonly used in stuffing.  

My family traditionally uses Summer Savory instead of sage.  Also use poutry seaosning, salt, pepper, mashed potatoes, toasted bread cubes, sautee onions, lots of butter, and fried cubed pork fat.  

Oh goodness @straykatz I have never heard of this spice until your post.  It seems to be kind of rare based on where you are located, is it readily available by you?  Based on what I researched it sounds like a great spice . . . you learn something new every day!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

Oh goodness @straykatz I have never heard of this spice until your post.  It seems to be kind of rare based on where you are located, is it readily available by you?  Based on what I researched it sounds like a great spice . . . you learn something new every day!

I have been able to get summer savory at Whole Foods.....it's difficult to find here....was very common in Canada.  I also use summer savory in soups, especially good in chicken soup.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My holiday stuffing recipe is special because it is made with lots of home made goodness and plenty of love...

My recipe is almost the same as my QVC Pal keeper of the koi, who I am also enclosing cyber hugs and smiles to.

The only difference is almost everything I use is home made.

My chicken/beef/vegetable and seafood broths are also home made then pressure canned. 

For my stuffing I use home made chicken broth with diced carrots, onions, and celery already in the canning jar with the broth, so it is well seasoned.

I also saute in truffle oil freshly chopped shallots, sweet diced onions, minced fresh garlic cloves, sauteed diced mushrooms , fresh chopped dill & parsley as well as finely chopped Greek Kalamata Olives. We are often told the stuffing is so delicious, it can be made into a meal all it's ownSmiley Happy.

Jalapenos are always added to my home made sour dough bread and cornbread, then crumbled and added into my stuffing recipe.

The stuffing's Mediterranean flavors, along with the kick the diced jalapenos give off pleases everyone, and always receives raves.

"We prefer our food well seasoned, and a bit on the spicy side.

Happy Holidays to all, and this year we are not having Turkey or Chicken but will have Pork Roast with caramelized onions baked inside and my Holiday stuffing, green beans sauteed in Greek Olive Oil and topped with broiled cherry tomatoes and fresh crumbled Greek Feta Cheese, soaked in milk for a few days to remove most of the excessive salt.

Dessert will be home made Lemon Icebox Pie (Phillip's favorite and if we are up to it perhaps we will make home made Greek Spinach feta cheese turnovers using Greek Apollo Filo Leaves and plenty fresh spinach, feta cheese and various dried and fresh spices.

This will be the 1st Thanksgiving without Phillips Parents seated at our Thanksgiving table and enjoying our Thanksgiving feast as they both died a few days apart, and we are still in mourning, so we will be having it alone at home.

Both Phillip and I hope everyone has a very safe Happy Thanksgiving celebration, and same for upcoming holidays, throughout 2016/2017.