Honored Contributor

What is with all this tough meat?

I remember cooking pork chops when I was 12.  My mother worked and this was a meal I could do well, those chops turned out tender every time.  Now days I have to braise them forever to get them tender.  Steak?  I haven't had a really good steak in years, one of those melt in your mouth kinds.  If I don't needle it to death with one of those tenderizers, its barely edible.  We are even running into tough chicken breasts.  What is going on?

Respected Contributor

Re: What is with all this tough meat?

Interesting.  I've not noticed any thing like that.  Meat quality is unchanged, and fine.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Perhaps you are not buying high quality meat. Prime & choice are the best cuts. Cooking techniques, of course help. But the "root" of the issue is the quality of meat you are buying.

Respected Contributor

@depglass We recently grilled thick pork chops from our local King Soopers (Kroger) and they had a huge filet portion and super tender.  We recently bought Costco filet mignon, one pack was Prime one was Choice and both delicious and very tender. 

We do marinate and possibly that breaks down the meat and makes it more tender but we've had with a rub only and they were tender also.

Maybe this is a regional issue, not sure.

Respected Contributor

I agree!  I also believe it's the meat quality, as I, too, have failed meals that previously were wonderful.  

I've given up on steaks, that often are tough, but also lack flavor, in spite of major seasoning.  The last good red meat I had was very expensive Prime Rib. It had the flavor I loved and missed in my red meats. Even hamburger meat is lacking in the flavor I used to enjoy.  So quality seems to be the problem.  

I've also had pork chops that were as tough as a Frisbee, no matter how I prepared them.  I've noted pork going leaner, too, which may be part of the problem. The fat prevented some of the dryness.  I remember years ago when pork was delectable. 

Because of changes I've noticed, my diet is now minimal meat, with focus on veggies. It's not worth eating meat products, with known health concerns, if it's not really enjoyable. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have run into that with chicken breasts also.  I normally will only buy my meat from our local butcher (thankfully we still have one).  I would pick up chicken once in awhile in our regular supermarket, terrible!!!!    The meat from the butcher, great!!!  I think it's where they are getting them from, has to be.   I also have bought meats at whole foods and have not had a problem but don't much like their chicken either.   

Honored Contributor

Try buying your meat from a different source.  I, for instance, will not buy meat from any Kroger-owned store.  The tenderness is determined by the USDA grade that you buy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@depglass  I only buy meat from Costco. It is the very best, IMO. As for pork chops. Shake and Bake has been my go to and doesn't fail. Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I remember cooking pork chops when I was 12.  My mother worked and this was a meal I could do well, those chops turned out tender every time.  Now days I have to braise them forever to get them tender.  Steak?  I haven't had a really good steak in years, one of those melt in your mouth kinds.  If I don't needle it to death with one of those tenderizers, its barely edible.  We are even running into tough chicken breasts.  What is going on?

I have experienced the same thing lately and, yes, I do buy a good quality of meat.

Honored Contributor

I'm unsure as to what is going on. Have you tried Rastelli or Kansas City?

I guess if I have to pay more for quality meat I will just eat less of it.