Respected Contributor

Re: What are you serving for Christmas dinner

Fresh homemade MD crabcakes...I will get the crabmeat fresh off the dock the day before.  Since we live near water, fresh caught Atlantic salmon (the fisherman goes near Canadian waters) and it's unreal...actually buttery.  Sides will be roasted little potatoes in air fryer, and a big fresh green salad with apples, walnuts, and   pomegranate arils added. Dessert - no bake cheesecake with cherries on top, homemade cookies for the grands.  I need a break from the heavy thanksgiving meal.

Regular Contributor

Where do you find a fresh ham? I live in Iowa and there's not a fresh ham in the state!!!!

Respected Contributor

Christmas Eve we have many seafood dishes, so on Christmas Day it's less involved.  There will only be four of us, so there will be some appetizers and then either lasagna or baked ziti with sausage and meatballs, a big Caesar Salad,  and fresh garlic bread.  For dessert we'll have fresh Italian pastries and a tray of Italian cookies and Biscotti.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@KrissyE 

My IGA always has 1-2 fresh hams in the meat case by mid December; they are very noticeable because of the attached hock and weight is usually in the range of 25 lbs.  Nothing else will fit into the oven with one of these hams, and most people don't have a pan large enough to bake one.

Esteemed Contributor

It will be just my husband and me, so it won't be a big dinner. We might have King Crab legs if I can find them on sale. If not, it will probably be a couple of steaks and baked potatoes. Nothing complicated!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@KrissyE 

My IGA always has 1-2 fresh hams in the meat case by mid December; they are very noticeable because of the attached hock and weight is usually in the range of 25 lbs.  Nothing else will fit into the oven with one of these hams, and most people don't have a pan large enough to bake one.

@RedTop Most butcher shops will order them for you, call way ahead, and saw the hock end off.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a clue.  I'm not that great of a cook so it will definitely be simple.  Just DH and I.  Previously I've done filet mignon steaks, lobster tails, baked potatoes and asparagus.  Nothing special for dessert as usually we have enough goodies in the pantry

Trusted Contributor

Homemade light crepes filled with a mixture of ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and spinach. Homemade turkey meatballs, spring greens salad with vinagrette dressing, and garlic bread.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Christmas Eve has always been ,for us, Chinese.......started many years ago when the kids were very little and we had so much to do on Christmas Eve.......they have grown up and the tradition has stayed the same.

Christmas breakfast is a whole big ordeal and Christmas dinner, late in the day, is fresh 

lobster.

Respected Contributor

We will be having seafood as an appetizer ( shrimp, lobster or oysters. Haven’t decided yet). Prime Rib, roasted seasoned potatoes, broccoli with lemon sauce, and always peas in browned butter.
Homemade mincemeat tarts and an apple pie for dessert. Wine, cider and cranberry juice to drink.