Respected Contributor

What Portion Sizes for Pasta?

For seasoned cooks, do you know how many cups of wide egg noodles or shell noodles per cup for each person?  (I don't have a food scale).

TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Portion Sizes for Pasta?

I typically use 2 oz as a measurement ... so a typical 16 oz package = 8 servings. Below is a website on how to measure pasta. Sorry I can't be more helpful ... I usually use a scale if it's 4 or less eating. 

measuring pasta.PNG

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate   If the pasta is the main entree I figure one quarter to one-half pound per person. 

If it is a side dish the serving can be less, but I prefer to have more prepared, rather than less.  Leftovers are always enjoyed in my household.

If you are cooking for a crowd there are conversion charts online and in some of the older standard cookbooks that estimate the amount of an item to cook to adequately serve each guest.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

I just divide a one lb. package in half, whether it's noodles, spaghetti, rotini, etc.  Theoretically that's four servings but sometimes the two of us can polish that off almost completely.  A twelve ounce package makes less if using half, and that definitely gets finished.  

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate 

For egg noodles and rotini, I google how much dry equals how much cooked pasta.

For spaghetti, this pasta measure from amazon is very nice for just a few dollars.

Groupcow Stainless Steel Spaghetti Pasta Measure (Silver)

Esteemed Contributor

One serving of the long dry pasta is equal to a penny round.  I have a penny taped on my cabinet!