Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Cooking For The Holidays????

@KingstonsMom  HA! I LOVE that!  Someone had quite the imagination to come up with that.  It came out well too.

Trusted Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@Miss Pepsi  The point is being thankful.  At the least,maybe just be thankful that we have means to connect with others on boards like this instead of being isolated.

I myself may be alone this year and I'm thinking Turkey Picatta.

Sorry just having my own pity party here

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Miss Pepsi   I am so sorry about the recent loss of your husband.  Naturally, your profound grief has you feeling this way.  There are many stages to grief and it ebbs and flows.  Some moments will be better than others.  Just know that you will slog through this.  You are in the minds and prayers of so many here, including me.

With warmest thoughts and a virtual hug,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Thank you, I am not handling this well at all.  I appreciate your kind words.

Esteemed Contributor

It all depends on the state of the virus at the time of the holiday.I won't know if I'm going somewhere or having a few guests until closer to the time.

Either way I'm sure we'll have turkey.The extent of the menu is yet to be decided.

Respected Contributor

@LilBitMissty   Here is my must have for Thanksgiving.

Dressing to Accompany Thanksgiving Turkey

8 cups of dry bread cubes

At least 1 large onion, minced

4 cloves of garlic, minced

2 cups celery, minced

1 pound chopped fresh mushrooms

1/2 pound ground beef

1/4 pound ground sausage

40 low salt Saltine crackers, crushed fine

2 cups cooked wild rice

at least 2 cups unsalted butter, melted

2 to 3 cups turkey broth

2 well whisked eggs

4 Tbsps Bell's Seasoning

1/4 cup fresh parsley

ground black pepper, to taste

1/4 Tsp white pepper

In a large skillet saute celery, garlic, onions aand set aside.  Saute mushrooms and set aside.  Brown ground beef and sausage, crumbling both to a fine texture; drain off the grease.

Add all of your sauteed items into a large mixing bowl that holds the bread, drained meats, and wild rice. Add the broth, eggs, and seasonings and mix thoroughly.

Place all in a buttered casserole and  cover tightly.  Put in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes.  Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes to crisp the top.

Notes:  In addition to the Bell's Seasoning, I use fresh herbs--thyme, sage--if I can find them.  

But the Bell's is, for me, absolutely essential because it has the flavor memory from all of the Thanksgiving tastes and smells from youthful times to now.   You can add the cooked turkey giblets to this, or omit, depending on the preferences of your guests.

Dried cranberries, white raisins, or dried cherries add a nice touch to the mixture.

You can use packaged stuffing--Pepperidge  Farms or Arnold's, but still add all the above-referenced seasonings.  It will still result in an excellent dressing.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I just copied and emailed your turkey photo to myself and will send out closer to the big day for a Happy Thanksgiving.  Due to covid and my DDIL being on call this year for the whole weekend we will be just my son, her and two grandchildren.  So the big family affair will have to be next year.  Which of course means more cooking for my son and I.  This will help me laugh as cook up more dishes than usual.  Woman LOL

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make a turkey breast and gravy in the slow cooker:

3 tbsp butter

1 onion, chopped

1 carrot, peeled and chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped

4 tsp minced garlic

1/3 cup flour

2 1/2 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup water

1 1/2 tsp dried thyme

2 bay leave

6 lb turkey breast, skin and bones included

1 tbsp cornstarch

Lightly saute onion, carrot, celery, and garlic in butter in skillet. 

Stir in flour until golden.  Whisk in 1 cup broth until smooth and thickened.  Stir in rest of broth and water.  Stir in thyme and bay leaves.  Pour everything into slow cooker.

Season turkey with pepper and lay in slow cooker breast-side down.  Cover and cook on low until turkey reaches 165 degrees, 5-7 hours.

Place turkey in 9x13" baking pan and tent with foil to keep warm.

Strain liquid from slow cooker into saucepan.  Let fat rise to top, then skim off.  Simmer and stir until a little thicker, about 15 minutes.  Stir cornstarch into 2 tbsp water in dish, then stir into simmering gravy for 3 minutes.   

Honored Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

@candys mine wrote:

@Miss Pepsi  The point is being thankful.  At the least,maybe just be thankful that we have means to connect with others on boards like this instead of being isolated.

I myself may be alone this year and I'm thinking Turkey Picatta.

Sorry just having my own pity party here

@Miss Pepsi 

You have every right to have a pity party as you grieve your profound loss.

Just remember you have lots of strong shoulders here to lean on, if you need to talk.

Sending Love Light and prayers.jpeg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I've tried many sweet potato casseroles but this one from the Amish cookbook is simply the very best!

Sweet Potato Casserole

from an Amish cookbook

4 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes     (about 8 potatoes)

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup evaporated milk

½ stick margarine (melted)

2 eggs

1 and ½ tsp. vanilla

½ tsp. cinnamon

Topping

1 cup chopped walnuts

1 cup brown sugar

½ cup flour

1 stick margarine

Put first 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend using electric mixer.  Pour into a 10” X 10” baking pan.  (I use a 2 and ½ quart casserole dish).  Mix topping together and spread over top of casserole.  Bake at 350 for one hour.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

This my family's very favorite sweet potato recipe, by Paula Deen, keep in mind that the alcohol cooks out, but imparts a delicious flavor.

Even family members who don't drink alcohol at all loves these!

Jack Daniels Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients

• 1 long strip orange peel
  • 1/3 cup bourbon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
  • 1 3 to 4 inch cinnamon stick
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3 cups water
  • 4 large sweet potatoes

Preparation

Wash and dry sweet potatoes and bake at 400° for one hour, until potatoes are soft to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly then remove skin from potatoes.

Reduce oven temperature to 350°. While the potatoes are baking, combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened.  

Slice the potatoes 1/2-inch thick into a medium casserole dish. Pour syrup over them and return to the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes.  

Tip: To make this dish faster, bake potatoes the night before, leave skin on and throw in the refrigerator until ready to use.

****Note, I have also made this with canned sweet potato chunks or frozen sweet potato patties, when in an unexpected time crunch with extra guests added, and they were just as good.

Just skip ahead to making the sauce, pour over and bake as directed in the recipe, (baking for approx. 30 minutes at 350 degrees.)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.