Respected Contributor

Watermelon Gazpacho

[ Edited ]

So far, my favorite Gazpacho is Curtis Stone's; however, with temps about to go into the 90s for the next few day, I made a half recipe this afternoon of the one below.  It's macerating in the frig 'as we speak.'  So far, test tastes show it to be a tad sweeter than Chef Stone's, and I am looking forward to tomorrow's dinner.  Will let you know the final assessment if it's not Good.  

Watermelon Gazpacho
loveandlemons<dot>com/watermelon-gazpacho/
Author: Jeanine Donofrio

Prep time:  20 mins Total time:  20 mins    Serves: 6

This super refreshing watermelon gazpacho hits the spot on hot summer days. This recipe makes a big batch, so store the leftovers in the fridge for easy lunches all week long.

4 heaping cups cubed seedless watermelon
1 English cucumber, diced, reserve half
3 medium tomatoes, diced, reserve half
1 small red bell pepper, diced, reserve half
1/3 cup chopped green onions, diced, reserve half
1 garlic clove
small handful basil
3 to 4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 Tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 to 2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ jalapeño pepper, optional
diced avocado, optional
micro greens, optional for garnish

Set aside the reserved half of the chopped cucumber, tomatoes, red pepper and green onions and place the remaining half in a blender.

Add the watermelon, garlic, basil, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and jalapeño pepper, if using.  Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Pour into a large bowl (or small individual jars) and stir in the reserved chopped vegetables.

Chill for 3 to 4 hours or overnight.

To Serve:  Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with diced avocado and/or micro greens, if desired.

Edited to break unintentional link.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor

is this a soup served cold?

Honored Contributor

Sounds good but enough watermelon would never survive me to make this. . . Woman Frustrated

Where's the salt shaker? Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG - This is DH's favorite thing to order when we go out. I make regular, but I will surprise him with this. Thank you!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@bcherry01 wrote:

is this a soup served cold?

Yes.  When I have it tomorrow, I am planning to use the avocado garnish and maybe tortilla chips alongside.

Honored Contributor

Lovin' watermelon and this sounds delish....I'd have to have some discipline to spend the time as I'm with @Sooner....hard to not plate it fresh, ripe, and raw.  Just had our first good melon of the season....after having to trash a few that were unripe.  We were impatient and bought before the season started.,..now we are on our game!

Enjoy your yummy gazpacho and thanks for sharing!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner and @phoenixbrd  As someone who ususally buys a watermelon each week, I 'get' your point about having enough melon on hand; however, you'd be amazed how much remains after 4 cups are removed.   BTW, I just finished a bowl of this gazpacho.  

The recipe is a keeper

340 Lick emoji Vector Images - Free & Royalty-free Lick emoji Vectors |  Depositphotos®