Regular Contributor

Re: Waiting for Thanksgiving

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@godi  When I see that picture, I think of how I'm just trying to keep my head above water when getting ready for T-Day. It is most certainly the hardest cooking day (two days actually) of the year for me. I usually can't move at the end of the day. But it's also one of my favorite food days of the year! (day after, too!)

@PA Mom-mom I used to do it and haul it 3 hours so I would get some turkey wings or something for broth (maybe you can buy turkey broth now) and would make the dressing a week or so ahead and freeze it--and it is fine!  

I made baked sweet potatoes instead of the casserole and put brown sugar or maple syrup and butter on them after they were baked, and marshmallows even if someone wanted them.

We didn't like the green bean casserole, so steamed beans were easy.  So making things ahead helped worlds.  Salads went in a zip lock bag the day before and got poured into the serving bowl too.  So with little kitchen equipment, life is easier on the day.  

Table was set and all serving dishes out and ready to go too.  I would even roast some wings for gravy some years and freeze that too.  Sometimes I used homemade and a little jarred in with it and nobody complained or didn't eat it. 

Maybe you'll have less stress this year!  Just remember you don't have to do everything.  AND anyone who does, should get a certificate allowing them to make a perfect meal at Christmas.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SoonerLater  Thanks for the encouragement! I think the guest list is going to be shorter this year due to grandkids' playoff activities and a new baby in my niece's family, so it might be easier. I'm still making everything from scratch, however. Just can't let it go. 

Honored Contributor

@SoonerLater 

I'm just like you.  I do it all.  I am fortunate to have a DILove who will stir the gravy, I'm the cook though.  I hope it's cool enough to put the pumpkin pies on the deck overnight in plastic tubs which is a tremendous help!!!

Esteemed Contributor

so much work....to be 'gobbled' up in such a short time.....glad my grown children do it now.....i did it all for many years.....

Esteemed Contributor

I did it for many years also. So glad this year we will celebrate my DH 60th Birthday in a hotel in the city. No cooking for me. 

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

I did it for many years also. So glad this year we will celebrate my DH 60th Birthday in a hotel in the city. No cooking for me. 

@godi 

I hope it's wonderful, and congrats to your DH.  I love leftovers SO much (as does DH and DS) so it's all good!Smiley Happy

I also love that my GSs have grown up knowing how to act at a dinner.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Oh no I forgot no leftovers! 😭😭😭😭😭 I adore stuffing and cranberry sauce sliders. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@godi   Watch that puddle at the bottom.  Have you ever tried Yukon potatoes for mashed potatoes?  Actually, quite good.  I love the fresh cranberry sauce, candied sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts (need one healthy item) and the turkey.  Now I am hungry.  P.S. Pumpkin pie with whip cream and cup of coffee.  I always made everything from fresh vegetables.  YOu can't beat the taste.  Wishing you all a very happy Thanksgiving.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

@ECBG  Oh no I forgot no leftovers! 😭😭😭😭😭 I adore stuffing and cranberry sauce sliders. 

@godi 

Honey, You can easily do what I do.

Get a large turkey breast and thaw in fridge.

Cut the back out (allows the crock pot to be used).

Spray a large crockpot.

Put turkey breast in and back on the side.  Cover with melted butter.

Mix 3 heaping TBSP poultry seasoning, celery seed, marjoram, and (less) sage.

Rub outside and inside.

Cook on low for 5 1/2 hrs. for 9 lbs.

It will slice beautifully and be moist after resting. Don't over cook, meat will chip.

You will have time to bake your stuffing.

Make a little gravy than add the 1 1/2-2C of stock you get.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Yummy! Copied and saved. Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to all! 🦃