Honored Contributor

Re: Waiting for Thanksgiving

@godi wrote:

@ECBG  Yummy! Copied and saved. Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to all! 🦃 

@godi 

I hope you'll like the way I love it.  Everyone craves this turkey!  My original degree is Home Economics, although, I went the design route, that wasn't open to me until 2 years later.

My grandson wants my cooking only!~  I have a shadow!!!Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@SoonerLater  Thanks for the encouragement! I think the guest list is going to be shorter this year due to grandkids' playoff activities and a new baby in my niece's family, so it might be easier. I'm still making everything from scratch, however. Just can't let it go. 

@PA Mom-mom It's great to make things from scratch.  But my advice is freeze and/or make the day before what you can, and nobody will know the difference and you will have a LOT. less mess not prepping all the food and having those dirty prep tools and bowls and such the day of.  It is a wonderful feeling.  

Honored Contributor

I've got my menu planned, just trying to refine the dessert choices.  I set a reminder to start thawing our 20# turkey tomorrow and will have certain daily jobs to accomplish (shopping for produce and any other supplies, cleaning, setting the table, making anything that can be done in advance, baking, etc.) beginning this weekend.  I'm grateful that my DH is here and helps me.  We're eating early on Thanksgiving, around 1:00PM, so I'll be up pretty early, to get the turkey ready and in the oven.

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone! 🌻🦃🍁🥧

Honored Contributor

@godi  Hilarious pic! Thanks for sharing. I sent it to my daughter that adores mashed potatoes any time. That and chicken soup. When she was growing up she'd often eat chicken soup for breakfast too.

Regular Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@SoonerLater 

I'm just like you.  I do it all.  I am fortunate to have a DILove who will stir the gravy, I'm the cook though.  I hope it's cool enough to put the pumpkin pies on the deck overnight in plastic tubs which is a tremendous help!!!

@ECBG Mom was always out of sorts if it was too warm to put the pies in the sun room.  Being Oklahoma, one year we had baseball sized hail the day after. . . 

We haven't done Thanksgiving as an event in at least 10 years.  

Honored Contributor

@SoonerLater 

Honey, I don't know if you call a family dinner an event.  DS and DILove haven't a clue as to how to cook a turkey.  He "wants mine". I use a lot of poultry seasoning, marjoram, and celery seed-turkey) in addition to fresh celery and onions.

Our sons always always wanted to bring special girlfriends to Sunday dinner.  

I just cooked something, roasts or whatever so I could have leftovers.  Somehow, to the boys, it was "special".(???)  We always had cloth placemats and ate in the dinning room.  The antique kitchen table isn't the most comfortable in the world but is great for crafts or buffet serving.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG I like the extra storage when it's below 38 degrees on the screen porch. It becomes my walk in refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@ECBG I like the extra storage when it's below 38 degrees on the screen porch. It becomes my walk in refrigerator.

@AuntG 

OH!  That's my deck.  We can get wildcats off of the mountain across from us, bear, or any manner of things.

I have plastic tubs with snap on tops.

Regular Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@SoonerLater 

Honey, I don't know if you call a family dinner an event.  DS and DILove haven't a clue as to how to cook a turkey.  He "wants mine". I use a lot of poultry seasoning, marjoram, and celery seed-turkey) in addition to fresh celery and onions.

Our sons always always wanted to bring special girlfriends to Sunday dinner.  

I just cooked something, roasts or whatever so I could have leftovers.  Somehow, to the boys, it was "special".(???)  We always had cloth placemats and ate in the dinning room.  The antique kitchen table isn't the most comfortable in the world but is great for crafts or buffet serving.

@ECBG No.  I didn't bring dates to dinner.  People ate at our house a lot, but it was very informal except for holidays.  In the summer, we went through 2 good sized steers and everyone we knew was welcome to drop by or call and see if we were having burgers and making ice cream that night.  

Sometimes on Saturday afternoon we'd start calling people and a crowd would gather.  A couple of times I've seen mother in hair curlers because of church the next day.  She usually did that a night, but a few times put rollers in in the afternoon then decided we'd put out the call for burgers!