Respected Contributor

@sfnative   Oh how fun to bake with your grand!  This recipe is perfect for that.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago - like 40 years - several of my mother's friends hosted a wedding shower for me.  Everyone was to bring a family favorite recipe!! One of the recipes was for this cake.  I baked it quite often throughout the years!!   Good, chocolatey, moist cake.....

Trusted Contributor

I remember this cake from years ago and it was fun, easy & good.  We called it Crazy Cake or The Three Hole cake, but it was basically the same.  After eveything was in the pan, we would pound it on the counter to make sure there were no bubbles that would bake holes in the cake.  The holes were strictly for the 3 spots to add the oil, vanilla & vinegar.  Thanks for the good memory!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge 

How very interesting!  I have never heard of this cake recipe before!  Thanks for sharing!

Just wondering what the point of the 3 holes is?  It all gets mixed up w/ a fork at the end anyhow....Is there a reason you just don't mix all the ingredients in a bowl and then transfer to a baking dish?

Just curious!  Is it to save a dirty mixing bowl?

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@x Hedge 

How very interesting!  I have never heard of this cake recipe before!  Thanks for sharing!

Just wondering what the point of the 3 holes is?  It all gets mixed up w/ a fork at the end anyhow....Is there a reason you just don't mix all the ingredients in a bowl and then transfer to a baking dish?

Just curious!  Is it to save a dirty mixing bowl?

Well, the dry ingredients are sifted together before any liquid is added.

But other than that, the difference is your method is missing all the fun!

The recipe could call for a quarter cup +2Tablespoons of oil...but it's far more fun to painstakingly measure out 6 consecutive Tablespoons of oil, especially if you're a kid. Then you pour water all over it!  

What a mess!

How often is it ok to have the fun of making a mess?

Ya got me, @RespectLife 

That's my best answer as to "why".

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge 

Hi Hedge,

Well, my attempt to bake a Whaky Cake with my granddaughter on Monday failed miserably.

She arrived at 11:30 and had lunch soon thereafter.  Swimming was next in our pool and she was at it for about 2 hours.  After about 20 minutes in the pool, I sort of yelled to her, "Leela, your little piece of black physio tape has fallen off and is floating in the pool.  Can you please pick it up and place it on the concrete edge for Oma?"  So my husband hears this, as he's in the pool, too, and turns around to look at this physio tape.  Uh oh, it wasn't black tape, it was the remote control to the garage door he had shoved in his pocket, which is how we typically get into and out of the house, instead of trapsing in wet bodies through the family room and dining room.  Because the weather had been hot, every single window was shut and locked up tight, as was the front door.  Somehow I got blamed for not bringing my house keys with me.  Go figure.  So, my husband, who likes only clam shell phones, is walking back and forth in that "What will we do, what will we do" attitude, cursing all the time.  In the meantime, took me 30 seconds to get a locksmith on my iPhone.  I said, "Jim, come over here and speak to the locksmith.  They can be here in 30 minutes."

Ha - Men!!!  There's a lot to be said for smart phones!!!

We WILL get around to the Whacky Cake!

~Rebecca

Contributor

My grandmother taught me to make this cake in the 50's.  She said that the recipe was popular during WWII.  You'll notice that it doesn't have any eggs in it and thus it was popular during the war because eggs were a scarce commodity during the war.

Honored Contributor

Every 4-H leader here in Wisconsin taught her girls to make this cake. I should know because it's one of the few things my sister could make. I was much more adventurous, trying things like chiffon cakes and Boston cream pie out of the 1950's Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting.

I'd never heard of this.

Click here for a YouTube video that demos it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@sfnative 

I'm sorry, but I got a chuckle from your story. I can see it happening here. For some reason, whenever he loses ANYTHING, it's somehow my fault. I've never quite figured that one out.

~ house cat ~