Honored Contributor

I heard tonight that prepared foods containing vanilla, like ice cream, are expected to increase in price.  They said the price of vanilla beans now is 5X higher now than it was a year ago.

I bought a large bottle of vanilla extract when the price started going up, and I don't bake or use much so it ought to last awhile.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I heard tonight that prepared foods containing vanilla, like ice cream, are expected to increase in price.  They said the price of vanilla beans now is 5X higher now than it was a year ago.

I bought a large bottle of vanilla extract when the price started going up, and I don't bake or use much so it ought to last awhile.

@Kachina624 .... Hi .... thanks for the post ... do you know the shelf life of vanilla extract? .... I want to stock up on some before the holidays arrive 😊

Honored Contributor

It has so much alcohol in it, it'll keep forever, however make sure the lid is on tight or it will evaporate.

Honored Contributor

Off the subject........but generally about "higher prices"...........my first car, brand new off the assembly line.........cost $2,000 (!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I remember telling a friend who had a new car that I'd never pay $13,000 for an automobile.

Respected Contributor

I just made my own vanilla. 3 vanilla bean pods to about 12 oz of vodka. Store in a cool dark place, shake every week for at least 2 months. Think I read that Ina Garten started a bottle about 25-30 years ago and still keeps it going by adding vodka and a bean pod when needed. 😊 ❤ 😊 

8 oz at Sam's Club is $20.98.

Esteemed Contributor

I put at least 6 or more vanilla pods - split - in a 12 ounce bottle of Jim Beam. I like to mascerate mine for about a year. But, as we had this discussion before, I don't shake mine. (Don't ask for all the scientific reasons.)

After the vanilla is gone, I save the pods and scrape them and use them in addition to the liquid vanilla when I'm baking to impress.

Trusted Contributor

i make my own too.  i do the same thing with the beans and the vodka.  i make it double strong and then i use less. 

it seems as if everything is going up in price

Honored Contributor

I ordered some double strength from Penzey's when they ran a deal on it and I have a larger bottle of regular strength from Costco.  I don't bake much so it will last a long time.  

Honored Contributor

@Barbarainnc@Harpa.  It's those vanilla beans that have become so expensive.  Several times I've assembled the supplies for making vanilla extract but can never find a suitable bottle.  

I hope vanilla beans aren't going extinct due to climate change.