Honored Contributor

Unusual Roasted Turkey Recipe

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing ingredient -- imagine that. When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me,
who just are not sure how to tell when turkey is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

8 - 15 lb. turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good)
1 cup un-popped popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT IS BEST)
Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper.
Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn.
Place in baking pan making sure the neck end is toward the front of the oven, not the back.

After about 4 hours listen for the popping sounds.

When the turkey's butt blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room,.... it's done.

Happy Thanksgiving All!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

Re: Unusual Roasted Turkey Recipe

Are you serious or is this a joke?  You never know nowadays!

Honored Contributor

@lavenderfields 

I'm pretty sure it's a joke, just my weak attempt at some Thanksgiving humor, LOL!

I ran into it while looking at roasted turkey recipes.

I doubt anyone would want their bird flying out of the oven and hitting the floor, but like you said, these days you never know what's 'trending'!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

YEARS ago I knew a woman who was actually told to add popcorn to the stuffing as a joke.  She naively followed the directions for her first Thanksgiving and had a blow up!

Honored Contributor

Well, I laughed at the mental image.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

YEARS ago I knew a woman who was actually told to add popcorn to the stuffing as a joke.  She naively followed the directions for her first Thanksgiving and had a blow up!

I can only begin to imagine the kind of mess that doing this would create!! Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom  You got me!  I was reading along thinking wow, how interesting...totally believed it til the turkey butt had its mishap! 😂