Honored Contributor

Has anyone made Green Bean Casserole from scratch?

I know of the one with cans of cream of mushroom, French's Fried onions, soy sauce and frozen or cans of green beans. 

I was scanning some YouTube cooking shows and came across making the entire thing from scratch and thought "that looks so GOOD?!" Has anyone done it and did you feel the flavor was worth the time (and money)? TIA

Regular Contributor

Re: Has anyone made Green Bean Casserole from scratch?

I have never made the sauce from scratch but have used fresh green beans from the garden. DELICIOUS! I steam the beans until almost done, add the soup then top with browned butered bread crumbs & bake. Just using fresh green beans makes a big difference. If you made your own sauce I would think it would be terrific. Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

@suzykeeSounds good to me.  The only green beans I actually like are the fresh.

Honored Contributor

Made from a scratch or cans = yuck!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@SahmIam Delicious either way. But from scratch is a little more homemade if you have the time. I use fresh mushrooms sauted first in a little butter. 

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam I also only add the crunchy onions on top at the last 4 minutes just to toast a little. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not a cook, but my nephew is a fantastic one! He's made something very similar to this and it was absolutely delicious:

https://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-green-bean-casserole/ 

You couldn't pay me to eat the version made with the canned soup. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of green bean casserole but i did make a different casserole recently that called for a cream soup but made it from scratch.   It's basically gravy, if you know how to make gravy.   I was very happy with the results.     The cream soups are just a convenience.   There's no magic to it.    My kitchen is stocked all the time with basics, like flour, spices, butter, broth, canned milk.

Believe me I am no gourmet cook, but there is an "off" taste to the canned cream soups.   Maybe if I would simmer it separately first, I would find it acceptable.   But that would negate the convenience, right?   Just as easy to make my own.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I know of the one with cans of cream of mushroom, French's Fried onions, soy sauce and frozen or cans of green beans. 

I was scanning some YouTube cooking shows and came across making the entire thing from scratch and thought "that looks so GOOD?!" Has anyone done it and did you feel the flavor was worth the time (and money)? TIA

@SahmIam 

Fresh Green Bean Casserole  Cooks Illustrated,

I have made this one and it is good but I like blanched ,sauteed with shallots, butter just as much.

For the Topping:
4 slices white bread, each slices torn into quarters
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups canned fried onions (about 6 ounces)

For the Beans and Sauce:
2 tablespoons salt
2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed, and halved
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound white button mushrooms, stems removed, wiped clean and broken into ½-inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1½ cups chicken broth
1½ cups heavy cream

Directions:

1. For the Topping: Pulse bread, butter, salt and pepper in food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about ten 1-second pulses. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with onions; set aside.
  2. For the Beans and Sauce: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees F. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add 2 tablespoons salt and beans. Cook beans until bright green and crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Drain beans in colander and plunge immediately into ice water to stop cooking. Spread beans on paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
  3. Add butter to now-empty pot and melt over medium-high heat until foaming subsides. Add mushrooms, garlic, ¾ teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook until mushrooms release moisture and liquid evaporates, about 6 minutes. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and bring to simmer, stirring constantly. Add cream, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced to 3½ cups, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Add green beans to sauce and stir until evenly coated. Arrange in an even layer in 3-quart (or 9x13-inch) baking dish. Sprinkle with topping and bake until top is golden brown and sauce is bubbling around edges, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.

Note 1: You can prep this ahead of time. Store the bread-crumb topping in an airtight container in the refrigerator and combine with the onions just before cooking. Combine the beans and cooled sauce in a baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. To serve, remove the plastic wrap and heat the casserole in a 425-degree oven for 10 minutes, then add the topping and bake as directed.

Note 2: This recipe can be halved and baked in a 2-quart (or 8-inch square) baking dish. If making a half batch, reduce the cooking time of the sauce in Step 3 to about 6 minutes (1¾ cups) and the baking time in Step 4 to 10 minutes.

Note 3: If you want to go 100% homemade and eliminate the canned fried onions, you can make your own caramelized onions. Thinly slice 2 sweet onions and saute in 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and sprinkle with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until the onions are golden, caramelized and soft. Set aside to cool before combining with remainder of crumb topping. Proceed with the recipe as directed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam @tiny 2 I did the original with frozen French green beans and got rid of the "canned" flavor.  It was good.  The scratch recipe looks excitingly yummy!!!!