Honored Contributor

I am cooking the turkey this year for Thanksgiving...can  I roast the turkey breast on Wednesday, it is about 8lbs....due to a timing conflict we are eating earlier than planned and it would be nice to havet they turkey out of the way, so I can concentrate on other dishes.  Obviously no one wants to eat dry turkey....that is my concern.

thanks

Frequent Contributor

I have not tried this myself with turkey but have read or seen on a cooking show to reheat the turkey in stock.  It was even suggested this will help if your turkey is a bit dry.

When I make roast beef or roast pork I always heat the meat up in hot gravy and it tastes like  it was freshly roasted.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   I would make the side dishes to reheat as well as the desserts the day before so the turkey would be fresh roasted. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I've done the turkey on Wednesday. I let it rest, DH craved it and I put the slices/pieces on a foiled cover sheet pan and covered it tightly with aluminum foil.

On T-Day I sprinkled it with turkey broth (you could use chicken broth too), recovered it and popped it in a 350 degree oven until reheated.

No one knew it had been roasted the day before.

Respected Contributor

You can roast the Turkey on Wednesday and reheat on Thursday.

Carve the breast or bird and place in a baking pan with Turkey or Chicken stock poured over top and bottom of meat and pan and seal with lid or foil and bake at least 30 min on 350? I'd have to look up instructions dor reheating for temp. And time.

Serve on a platter it will be great! Same thing can be done with a dried out turkey.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   Hi. For the same reasons as you, this is exactly what I do...works like a charm:

Make-Ahead Turkey

Author: Laura
Ingredients
  • 1 Turkey
  • 1 Large Roasting Pan
  • Foil if necessary

Instructions
  1. Place the turkey in the refrigerator for 3-4 days until thawed.
  2. Remove the bag of giblets from the inside of the turkey.
  3. Empty the giblets into your roasting pan as they help make a good, rich broth.
  4. Place the bird, breast side up, into a large baking pan or roaster.
  5. Cover with foil or with your roaster lid.
  6. Cook at 325° for 15-20 minutes per pound.
  7. You know your turkey is done cooking when the red thing pops up, or when the legs start to pull away from the body. It should be golden brown and slightly crisp looking.
  8. Be sure to save the broth that formed naturally!
  9. Allow the turkey to cool, then de-bone completely. Store meat in baggies or in covered pyrex dishes in the refrigerator.
  10. Save turkey carcass to make another round of broth for gravy, soup, and other nourishing meals.
  11. On serving day, drizzle a liberal amount of broth (one-two cups per 9x13 inch pan of meat) over turkey, cover and warm in 300°-350° oven for 30-45 minutes or until meat is hot and steamy.
  12. Serve right away.

Hope this helps!  Happy Thanksgiving!

Trusted Contributor

My dear friend used to have about 20+ people for Thanksgiving.  She always cooked the turkey on Wednesday, let it cool, then carved it up.  She would add stock Thursday morning, set the oven on warm, and the smell of roasting turkey would still be there when her guests arrived with their sides to share.  

Honored Contributor

I usually make a big turkey but this year it will be a turkey breast. 

Last year I purchased an electric turkey roaster which sits on the counter and fees up oven space.  I might use it this year but then I'll have to see how big everything is and how much I'm making since it's just three of us.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook Me too - sides the day before........turkey fresh on T-Day.  That's what I've always done.  If cooked Wed I wouldn't be able to my fork out of it.  Half would be gone by Thursday.

Who cares if the squash is reheated?

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the advice.  I will cook the turkey on Wednesday...normally things don't stress me out but cooking does!

Especially when feeding anyone other than my dh....fingers crossed for a tasty, juicy bird!  Happy Thanksgiving.