Trusted Contributor
I liquid brined my first turkey overnight (not a dry brine). I let it dry before cooking so the skin could crisp. There is a lot of juice in the pan 1-2 quarts. I read some chefs prefer dry rub brine because turkey can absorb too much liquid. I haven’t eaten it yet, I will follow with that update but I wanted to know about the amt of liquid released. Thx
Honored Contributor

I brine my turkey if it's organic and not injected with water, salt and broth like most turkeys are. Brining it guarantees the bird will be moist and juicy if you roast it right. I've never brined a Butterball turkey. I've never used a dry rub for a turkey.

Trusted Contributor
Follow up the liquid is about 2 cups (pint)
Makes great gravy seemed more when turkey was in pan. I’ve never had a bird release so much. Flavorful!
Honored Contributor

I don't brine the turkey, but, FYI Fresh Market sells turkey brining.

Honored Contributor

My family doesn't eat turkey but my mom was gifted with one at the senior center. It was a frozen Butterball. I was intimidated 

My friend told me to use Alton Brown's recipe. Calls for a brine where the turkey sits in it for 8-16 hrs. Brine is discarded. Turkey is pat dry.

It came out perfect - no basting needed.

there are 2 videos on foodnetwork - one to cook the turkey so both white and dark meat comes out great - one to prep

It might give you some ideas

Trusted Contributor
The turkey was the most flavorful and moist ever. I just was amazed at the juices it released, which made the most flavorful gravy.
I guess once you brine you always brine.
I brined in a cooler outside so it was easy.
Respected Contributor

Re: Turkey Brining

[ Edited ]

I've used this turkey brine recipe from allrecipes in the past with great success.  Tender, flavorful, moist meat and I was pleased with the gravy.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/54614/turkey-brine/

Denise
Respected Contributor

This year was my first try with brining.  Did half a turkey breast.  It came out very moist and I too was surprised at the amount of liquid it released.

This was an experiment on my part but I will certainly do it again.  The next time I will probably add fresh lemons and place it on a rack.

Esteemed Contributor

We totally stopped all of this fuss and mess, once we discovered Trader Joe's Kosher Brined Turkeys.  Fabulous doesn't describe this turkey.  We've been purchasing them for 10 or so years now.  Even my daughter, a retired chef, will eat no other turkey.

I highly recommend Trader Joe's Kosher Brined Turkeys!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Turkey Brining

[ Edited ]

I switched from wet brining to dry brining about 5 years ago and the results have been GREAT! I will never go back to the mess, and "ordeal " (think refrigerator space too!) of wet brining- 

Another plus: You can dry brine before the turkey is totally thawed!!

The skin gets brown and very crispy,  and the bird is incredibly moist and not overly salty-

I use the "Judy Bird" (Zuni Cafe) type recipe, which is easily found in a Google search