Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@Carmie 

That looks wonderful!

=====

Sure does @4kitties . No way could I get eight servings out of it. Maybe dinner for two and lunch for two the next day!

Trusted Contributor

@Luvsmyfam,

I decided to Google for a stepped up version of tuna casserole after reading your post.  So, I haven't made this recipe yet that has piqued my interest but do intend to soon.  Count me among those who haven't made a tuna casserole in ages.  I am also including some of the comments from a chef in his review of this recipe.  I often add chopped pimentos to casseroles I make and would probably use them in this recipe.

JAZZED UP TUNA CASSEROLE

Recipe by Sharon123

READY IN: 45 mins.   SERVES: 6

INGREDIENTS3

3 cups uncooked yolk-free wide egg noodles

2 (6 oz) cans tuna in water, drained and flaked

1 cup zucchini, grated

3⁄4 cup light sour cream

1⁄2 cup celery, diced

1⁄4 cup onion, chopped

1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise

1⁄2 tsp dried thyme

1⁄4 tsp dried oregano

1⁄4 tsp salt

1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated, and mixed with

1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated

1 medium tomatoes, chopped

DIRECTIONS

Cook noodles according to package directions, drain. In a large bowl, combine the noodles, tuna, zucchini, sour cream, celery, onion, mayonnaise, mustard, thyme, oregano and salt; mix well. Spoon half into a 2 quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.

Sprinkle with half of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Top with tomato. cover and bake at 350°F. for 30-35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer.

Source: food.com

NOTES-- Based on a review cited in comments of a Chef Russ:

Substitute 1 tsp MARJORAM for thyme and oregano
Substitute diced JICAMA or diced WATER CHESTNUTS for celery
Use thinly sliced rings of LEEKS instead of onion
Additionally, add a SHALLOT if you think you'lll miss the onion taste
Garnish with scallions, chives or gar!ic chives

Honored Contributor

Re: Tuna casserole

[ Edited ]

Way back, I would add a can of drained tuna and a can of drained LeSeur green peas to Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

Is that what you're talking about?

Haven't done that since we were trying to get out for scout meetings!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Tuna casserole

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

@Carmie 

That looks wonderful!

=====

Sure does @4kitties . No way could I get eight servings out of it. Maybe dinner for two and lunch for two the next day!

I always double the recipe and add extra tuna. ( 2 large cans) It's good the next day if there is any left.

I have made it with gluten free noodles and it's good that way too.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG, no......adding tuna to mac & cheese is not tuna noodle casserole! The original was made with egg noodles and usually cream of mushroom soup! This casserole was a staple in many mom's menus in the 50s and 60s. The first two things my mother taught me to make were scalloped potatoes/ham and tuna noodle casserole!

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 Me too!  And scalloped potatoes were sliced potatoes rolled in flour and layered with some thinly sliced onion sometimes, dusted with salt and pepper and a tiny bit of garlic powder, then topped with some whole milk and some half and half as I remember then baked until golden on top.

If you put cheese in the layers and on top it was Potatoes Au Gratin.  

New Contributor

In our family we mix the tuna with sour cream and mayo and noodles of course. We add simply salt and pepper to taste and then put in casserole pan and place jack cheese slices on top and put it in oven to melt the cheese. But if you let it get a bit crisp I personally love that. Simple and tasty. We just didn't add any other ingredients. But I think peas would be good in it and Mushrooms. (precook mushrooms). When the cheese melts on the casserole it's a different taste. Other good melting cheese would work and I bet Havarti cheese would be awesome. I will try that next. 

Trusted Contributor

Just to let you know that I just prepared the recipe Carmie wrote in and it was delicious.  When I read the recipe, I realized that I had all the ingredients except the tuna so I thought why not make that for tonight and pick up the tuna today so that is what I did.  I will definitely make it again.  The reason I was interested in the recipe was that it did not contain the soup in the ingredients and my husband tends to object to the soup flavor in recipes.  I am sure those recipes here are good too but I really wanted to try this one.  I tend to think that when you get to cook your veggies for a recipe first, the flavor comes out better.

Thank you to Carmie for a wonderful recipe.

Honored Contributor

@miata1   You're welcome.  I understand your husband's dislike of canned soup.  I don't cook with canned soup either....Yuck!

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG I used to do that too! It reminds me of one time when I was newly married. My hubby had kids so I got a ready made family. I was trying to get in the routine of feeding them and homework, etc. One night my mom in law came by for an unexpected visit. I had made this stuff with the mac and cheese and a few mix ins. I was horrified to offer her the concoction. To my great joy, she loved it and went back for seconds. Great lady. Heart

Thanks for making me remember that.Heart