Honored Contributor

Toni's Broccoli Salad from Bob Bowersox

My husband needs to take a salad to a card party potluck so I just assembled this. Years ago, the QVC Insider magazine had this recipe from their host Bob Bowersox. He said his wife Toni got it from a cousin. The only modification I make is using broccoli and cauliflower. I also garnish the top.

Dressing (stir it all together until smooth):

2 c. Mayonnaise

1/2 c. Sugar

6 T. Apple cider vinegar

Fold dressing into salad ingredients:

16 slices crisp bacon, crumbled

8 c. Broccoli flowerettes, washed and drained

1 large Bermuda onion, chopped

1/2 cup raisins

Right before he leaves for the party, I'll garnish it with some cashews and shredded cheese.

I was probably only 30 years old when I first saw this recipe. I had never eaten a broccoli salad, but over my nearly forty years of working, I took it to many work potlucks. It was actually a friend a work who said she liked the broccoli to be mixed with cauliflower. I tried it that way and agreed.

Respected Contributor

Re: Toni's Broccoli Salad from Bob Bowersox

@AuntG That is the best recipe! 

Trusted Contributor

Looks good- tasting. i probably would just stick to broccoli. Thanks for posting.

Regular Contributor

@AuntG  I have prepared this recipe and used green or red grapes sliced in half in lieu of raisins.  

Honored Contributor

Bob used to own a restaurant in Wilmington DE called Crepe Chalet.

He had all different kinds of savory crepes for entrees and my favorite was a broccoli and cheddar crepe. 

Was a good way to get an 18 year old to eat her broccoli by lunchtime!  (I could barely afford the *meat* filled ones.)

Honored Contributor

Oh my I used to make something like that.  I found you can cut back a lot on the mayo.  It is so good!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Oh my I used to make something like that.  I found you can cut back a lot on the mayo.  It is so good!  

Good point @Sooner . I used a generous 8 cups of veggies and with the amount of dressing, could have added at least another two cups of broccoli.

Valued Contributor

I have a very similar recipe that my sister gave me years ago but it's just broccoli. I might have to try it with cauliflower added in sometime. No raisins, which I hate so I'm good with that and there is shredded cheese in the recipe. We love it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always enjoyed watching Bob Bowersox.  I think I ordered a couple of his cookbooks back then.  The recipes were always good.

Super Contributor

Try adding some roasted salted sunflower seeds too.  Delicious.   I leave raisons out though cuz I hate them. But I do add cheddar cheese.