Honored Contributor

Good price for apples

[ Edited ]

Our local grocery store had 3 lbs. of apples (Gala) for .99. We purchased 2 bags. W/one bag we are making applesauce in the crockMan Tonguepot and w/the other just slicing the apples and freezing in portion control smaller bags. The apple corer,peeler, slicer makes the work go quickly and the peels and cores are for the birds.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 Do you freeze them fresh, or do you prepare them some way before freezing?

Honored Contributor

Too bad you can't by local apples. I live in apple country here in upper Michigan! Tons of orchards! I bought a slew of local Sweet Tango apples at our Apple Festival last weekend. They are THE best apples! Made my wonderful tasty applesauce. Yum!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@On It : I do freeze them fresh,but mix in apple juice.

Honored Contributor

Re: Good price for apples

[ Edited ]

@ID2 Hey U-Per ! We live on the west side of the state.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

Too bad you can't by local apples. I live in apple country here in upper Michigan! Tons of orchards! I bought a slew of local Sweet Tango apples at our Apple Festival last weekend. They are THE best apples! Made my wonderful tasty applesauce. Yum!

@ID2  We have many apple orchards in NY state. I think we are right up in the top with our apple production. Local apples aplenty.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1   Your post reminded me of some very special times.  I'm now retired,  but was an elementary special education teacher for 28 years.  Every year around this time, I would make a classroom lesson on 'how to make applesauce'.  

First, I would read a story to the children about John Chapman, better known as 'Johnny Appleseed'.  My plan would be to make applesauce in the crockpot with the children's help, but incorporate it as a math, English and social lesson.  I would peel, core and cut the apples.  Then,  using measuring cups and spoons, I would have the kids take turns measuring out the sugar, cinnamon, apples, water and a little lemon juice and mixing it all together.  

As it was cooking, I would ask them to write (sequencing the steps) and draw pictures, if they wanted on how we made the applesauce. 

Lastly, they got to eat the applesauce with their friends.  I made copies of the recipe for them to bring home, if their parents also wanted to give it a try.   The children always enjoyed it, learned a few things,  and best of all they got to eat some delicious applesauce.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella 

Too bad I am no longer teaching . Greyt idea.

The children I taught grew pumpkin seeds in clean milk containers with soil. Fortunately, the seeds sprouted in time for Christmas gifts. Then they took them home as gifts. As teachers we were creative, no? LOL

Honored Contributor

Had some of our homemade applesauce last night at dinner. So good,better that store bought.