Respected Contributor

The Perfect Chocolate Cake

[ Edited ]

Im still looking and still baking but yet have found the most perfect, delicate cake, rich in flavor, moist and overall delicious.

Made the Black Magic Cake off the internet today and all I can say it's OK.  The 5 star reviews are deceiving, I don't believe it merits a 5 star but a 3-1/2 star.

Made with buttermilk, coffee and very easy to make but still looking for

that one cake.

My mom made a persian torte thats layers of cake and frosting, gets to be about 12 layers when you cut one layer in thirds but that cake doesn't have that rich moist flavor or texture.  

One woman advertises the very best chocolate cake but I haven't tried that one yet...........anyone have the perfect cake or where to look?

Trusted Contributor

Re: The Perfect Chocolate Cake

My favorite chocolate cake recipe is on the back of the hersheys cocoa box, best chocolate cake/chocolate frosting I have ever had. 

Esteemed Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

My favorite chocolate cake recipe is on the back of the hersheys cocoa box, best chocolate cake/chocolate frosting I have ever had. 

You made my mouth water with that, @deb5555. Its been years, but when my kids were home I use to make that cake. Sweet memories, glad you mentioned that. Sooooo good with a glass of milk!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Look online for Death by Chocolate Cake.  I've had several versions and , they have all been excellent ( including one made from a mix as part of the recipe).

Trusted Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

I agree!  The Hershey's recipe is the best!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling   I  love  chocolate, and especially chocolate cake.  I've tried dozens of recipes and for just straightforward,  regular,  chocolate layer cake I, too, always return to the recipes for both  the cake  and frosting on the Hershey's  cocoa  container.

I've dressed it up by edging the top rim after frosting with crystalized ginger.

Sometimes I  skip the frosting altogether and bake in a  Bundt pan and just squirt whipped cream on each pieceof the cake as I slice it.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

I also agree that the Hershey's cake is awesome. 

Trusted Contributor

@Just Bling  King Arthur Flour has a delicious chocolate cake mix, I always keep one handy.  Very moist and rich tasting.

Respected Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@Just Bling  King Arthur Flour has a delicious chocolate cake mix, I always keep one handy.  Very moist and rich tasting.

I already had that, thank you very much.

Not much into cake mixes lately, it doesn't take any time to measure the flour and cocoa along with the baking powder and baking soda with a little salt.   That's really waht a cake mx has, you still need to add the eggs, oil and liquid.

Maybe I need to experiment with different brands of cocoa, I'm sure the results and taste could change.

Esteemed Contributor

My Mom always made the Hershey cake but made peanut butter frosting for it.