Honored Contributor

The Best Classic Strawberry Shortcake

The Best Classic Strawberry Shortcake

For our simple and iconic shortcake, we discovered a great double-stacking technique that creates super light and high biscuits that are easy to split. This makes them easy to fill without crumbling. A simple recipe like this one allows its ingredients to shine, so use the very best berries you can find.

• Level: Easy
  • Total: 50 min (plus cooling time)
  • Active: 50 min
  • Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients

Shortcakes:

1 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing

2 tablespoons sour cream 

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting (see Cook's Note) 

1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling 

1 tablespoon baking powder 

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 

1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes and frozen 

Filling:

1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar 

1 cup heavy cream 

2 tablespoons sour cream 

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

Directions

Special equipment:
 You will need a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter.
  1. For the shortcakes: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Whisk the heavy cream, sour cream and vanilla in a small bowl; refrigerate until ready to use. Pulse the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor until combined. Add the butter; pulse until the mixture looks like fine meal. Pour in the chilled heavy cream mixture and pulse until just combined. 
  3. Lightly flour a work surface and dump the dough onto it. Pat out the dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut out as many biscuits as you can with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Then pat the remaining dough out to 1/2-inch thick again. Cut more biscuits; you should get 12. 
  4. Put 6 of the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops generously with cream, then top each cream-brushed biscuit with one of the remaining biscuit rounds. (This makes it easier to split once they are baked.) Brush the top of each biscuit stack with more heavy cream and sprinkle 1 teaspoon granulated sugar on each biscuit.  
  5. Bake the biscuits until golden and puffed, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.  
  6. Meanwhile, for the topping: Toss the strawberries and 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar in a medium bowl. 
  7. Just before serving, beat the heavy cream, sour cream, the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes.  
  8. Split the shortcakes in half. Spoon half the cream on the bottom of the biscuits, top evenly with the strawberries and top with the remaining cream. Put each biscuit top on and serve. 

Cook’s Note

When measuring flour, we spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off excess. (Scooping directly from the bag compacts the flour, resulting in dry baked goods.)

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: The Best Classic Strawberry Shortcake

We love strawberry shortcake in our house.  I use bisquick, sometimes I don't know what I like better the berres or the shortcake.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

We love strawberry shortcake in our house.  I use bisquick, sometimes I don't know what I like better the berres or the shortcake.

I love it too and use the Bisquick recipe.  My daughter only likes the Bisquick cake.  My husband doesn't like strawberry shortcake.  Me, I ike it all.  I don't make it as often as I'd like to.

Honored Contributor

We eat it over homemade pound cake.

Honored Contributor

Such a big magilla about the cake part. Who wants pound cake,who wants angel cake,who wants biscuits. I used to try hard to please everyone, now I just please myself and Hubbs and have pound cake.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just needs whipped cream and whole strawberry on top!

Maybe more "juice" on those biscuits!  Yum!

Respected Contributor

I haven't made in years, but when I did, I used Bisquick.

Honored Contributor

I don't try to please any one except me and husband. 

Honored Contributor

I make strawberry shortcake over a 1 layer slice of yellow cake that has been topped with real whipped cream.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

We eat it over homemade pound cake.

My favourite way to enjoy it too!