Honored Contributor

How to prepare hamburger steak without it shrinking?

Ok. I have googled this several times. Tips that I have tried: using lean ground beef, make big thick patties and in the center : make big thumb print. I used two big packages of meat. The patties were about 4 inches round and 1 1/2 inches thick. I cooked on top of the stove in a covered skillet on medium heat. My results:3738F22B-2800-460D-9DCA-F9827222CD7B.jpeg

Everything that I have tried  does not help because the same results. Before cooking the meat is very smooth  and firm. Ready to give up.

Honored Contributor

Re: How to prepare hamburger steak without it shrinking?

Letting it come to room temperature before cooking will help a lot.  And select where you buy it carefully.  Some places load it with water.  If you cook a patty and a lot of water comes out, that's the problem. 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee 

As a southern cook (GA), medium high heat is too hot which leads to the shrinking into a ball.

Once you brown your hamburger steaks on medium and prepare the gravy, return the steaks to the gravy, cover and bring it to a slow simmer on low, splashing the gravy over them occasionally for maybe 5 minutes.

At this point, they're cooked and just serve! HTH!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I dont know of anyway to keep hamburger from shrinking.  A lower fat content helps some but mine always shrink.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I sear the burger just like I do a steak........med high temp on both sides - get the grill marks or pan brown brown.  Then reduce temp to med and let it continue to cook until done (as much as you want it)

Med Well - or Well done .....and don't squeeze any liquid out of burger as it cooks.

Esteemed Contributor

Add - I never cover the pan while cooking a burger- for me it's like steaming the meat instead of 'cooking'.  Would you cover a steak?

Honored Contributor

@fthunt 

You're not cooking a steak, you're cooking a hamburger.

Covering the pan assures that the inside is done after searing.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I believe I specified = "burger'

I sear both sides of a burger as I sear a steak

I do know the difference..................

Thank you

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

Letting it come to room temperature before cooking will help a lot.  And select where you buy it carefully.  Some places load it with water.  If you cook a patty and a lot of water comes out, that's the problem. 

@Sooner : Thank you and will try your suggestions next time.♥️

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@SouthernBee 

As a southern cook (GA), medium high heat is too hot which leads to the shrinking into a ball.

Once you brown your hamburger steaks on medium and prepare the gravy, return the steaks to the gravy, cover and bring it to a slow simmer on low, splashing the gravy over them occasionally for maybe 5 minutes.

At this point, they're cooked and just serve! HTH!

@KingstonsMom : I live in ( Ga.) . Thank you. Will try your suggestions next time.♥️♥️