Trusted Contributor

This is from Southern Living.  I haven't made it, but it seems like it would be good, with a tossed salad on the side.

20231019_220435.jpg

• 3 cups 3/4-inch-cubed sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb.)

• 1 cup chopped red onion

• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper

• 6 cooked bacon slices, crumbled

• ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

• 1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts

• 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Gruyère cheese

• 1 ½ cups half-and-half

• 4 large eggs

• 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

• ½ teaspoon salt

• Garnish: fresh rosemary sprig

Directions

• Preheat oven to 425°. Toss together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; arrange mixture in a single layer in a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake 20 minutes or just until potatoes are tender, stirring after 10 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 30 minutes). Stir in bacon and parsley.

• Unroll piecrusts; stack on a lightly greased surface. Roll stacked piecrusts into a 12-inch circle. Fit piecrust into a 10-inch deep-dish tart pan with removable bottom; press into fluted edges. Trim off excess piecrust along edges. Line piecrust with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Place pan on a foil-lined baking sheet.

• Bake at 425° for 12 minutes. Remove weights and foil; bake 5 more minutes. Cool completely on baking sheet on a wire rack (about 15 minutes). Reduce oven temperature to 350°.

• Layer half of sweet potato mixture and half of cheese in tart shell; repeat layers once.

• Whisk together half-and-half and next 3 ingredients; pour over cheese.

• Bake at 350° on lowest oven rack 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Cool tart on baking sheet on a wire rack 15 minutes.

Respected Contributor

Re: Sweet potato and onion tart

@LdyBugz @@@@that sounds really yummy!  Let us know how it turns out!

Trusted Contributor

@LdyBugz

So glad you shared this recipe!, thanks!!  I defnitely plan on making this.  Some of the ingredients, especially the rosemary, remind me of a roasted sweet potato dish I have made a couple of times with a mango chutney dressing.

I am sure I will make this using butternut squash as well.   

Trusted Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ   Will do!  Think I'll give it a whirl on Sunday.  🤞🏻

Trusted Contributor

@vabreeze   You're welcome!  I hope it's as good as it sounds.  Think I'll try to make it on Sunday with one of those ready to bake pie shells.  It will be a shortcut instead of having to roll out two crusts together like the recipe calls for.  Oh, and using squash instead of or even with sweet potatoes would be good! 👍