Honored Contributor

Re: Stupid Question About Fish

@ScrapHappy   Smiley Happy The ONLY stupid questions are the ones NOT asked. Smiley Wink

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind.

Respected Contributor

I'd like to put in a word for boring, bland, farm-raised tilapia. So easy to cook. So tasteless that it works with any flavoring you can think of. And usually all the fillets are the same size (although on different days they all can be larger or smaller). And inexpensive.

I eat many kinds of fish, but when I don't feel like thinking too much, I buy tilapia.

Honored Contributor

We have fish a few times a week. We could eat it everyday and sometimes we do, especially in the summer time.  Not all fish can be sold in thick pieces because some fish varieties are flat and skinny.

Some mild tasting fish is Cod, Flounder, Grouper, Orange Roughy, Tilapia and Haddock.

You can use the same recipe as you do for thicker cuts, just reduce the cooking time.

Fish cooks very fast and you don't want to over cook it. Most fish will cook in about 10 to 20 minutes.  As soon as it flakes with a fork, it is done.

Honored Contributor

I live on the Gulf coast, grouper & amberjack are 2 of my favorites.    Red snapper when available.

I'll eat catfish if it's locally farm raised.    Catfish are bottom feeders, I will only eat a catfish from very clean water.

If you are looking at the frozen food section, try ocean perch.  It's mild, can be fixed many ways.

Know where your fish comes from, a cod from Alaska is not the same as  cod from the Atlantic.  You may like one better than the other.    I also buy fresh water fish locally.

Once you find a fish you like, you can fix it differently every time you cook.   

Buy only wild caught or locally farmed

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Catfish are bottom feeders,

^This173836.gif

The reason why my parents will NOT touch or eat it.  I was an adult (early 20's) the first time in my life I had fried catfish.  Been in love ever since!  The best tasting fried catfish I've had was in New Orleans.

The local Acme farm raised most of their fish.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

my favorites are cod, flounder, sea bass, orange roughy, and rockfish. the cod filets that i purchase are pretty thick usually. i get our fish mostly from a seafood market. any recipe can pretty much be adjusted to handle a thinner filet of fish.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I think you're prudent to do that. Fish coming from China being a source of nastiness never occurred to me but I'd NEVER eat freshwater fish, no matter where it comes from. They could have ingested some nasty stuff that ocean fish aren't exposed to.

I love salmon but don't eat it any more; I live in the Northwest and we've polluted and depleted our salmon stocks to the point where Orca whales, who eat salmon almost exclusively, are on the brink of extinction. "All" we'd have to do to restore them are to remove a bunch of dams so they can get to their traditional breeding grounds.

But big business and farming interests would never let that happen; it might reduce their profits by a few million dollars so God forbid they lose a fw dollars in the interests of saving a natural resource.

OK; off my soapbox. Cat Mad

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind.

Respected Contributor

Haddock is usually a thicker fish. I always used it for making mock lobster and it was thicker chunks. 

and I don't think you are "embarrassing " yourself by asking this! Sure, most everything is on the net, but the time that it takes to sort through the many times conflicting information can be substantial. 
Here you can get a quick answer with many different real experiences. 

For Heaven's sake, what else is this board for?!? Really rude comment.