Respected Contributor

I'd like to eat more fish.  I think I like a white fish, such as flounder and cod.  That's really the only fish I've eaten.  I've come across recipes that I'd like to try, however the recipes often call for a thicker piece of fish than anything I can find at the store.  Fish market too. Especially cod.  When I look at the fish cases, they're all thin pieces.  The flounder I'd buy once in a while is the wild caught frozen at the grocery store.  I eat it, but again, it's really thin.  I find then when I fry it, it's really just all coating.  Any suggestions?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stupid Question About Fish

@ScrapHappy  It isn't a stupid question at all.  What we like for a thicker white fish is either halibut or swordfish.   Swordfish on the grill in the summer is my favorite.  Salmon is a nice hearty fish too but it's pink, LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

Frozen Cod pieces are a little thicker when you buy at Costco . Just decrese the cooking time  for the thinner pieces of fish.  Say for example, I like fresh tomatos and peppers and onions  over flounder or cod.  I place olive oil in a pan  then add the tomatos, peppers, onions and saute on the stove thill they are all soft  and the  cool  them some before pouring over the fish filet then add white wine & butter and place in oven covered with aluminum foil . It does not take long to cook the fish. Or use a toaster oven.

Cod filets are good with  same sauce as above or  with plain jared spaghetti sauce poured over them and serve with rice.

Respected Contributor

Go to an actual fish market or store.  They will be able to cut you what you are looking for.

Esteemed Contributor

Cod - personally I don't care for cod because it is thick & texture turn-off.....but you don't have to bread a thin cut - pan fry with spices & oil-butter -or - season the same and bake.

Haddock is my very favorite but not available everywhere I understand.

Recipe may suggest a thick piece of Cod but that doesn't mean you have to use thick.

Respected Contributor

Most fresh cod is tapered with a thicker end and a thinner end.  What most recipes suggest is folding the thinner end so the entire piece is about the same thickness.  That way the fish cooks evenly.  I love cod......well actually I usually love all types of fish.

Honored Contributor

We can't even find flounder anymore.  My #1 choice of fish is salmon.  There are so many different types of fish, try some!!

Honored Contributor

Flounder is a flat fish.  You're never going to find thick slabs of it as its naturally thin.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 

We recently finished up a bag of frozen flounder filets bought at Costco.  Much happier with Costco's frozen cod, red snapper and various types of salmon.  The flounder was so thin that it felt like eating nothing at all.

Costco also has many ore "exotic" types of frozen fish, but it seems the selection varies constantly and new types suddenly appear, such as barramundi (Asian sea bass native to Australia).

A restaurant in Wash DC that my DH and I visited often when we first started dating had a dish that I absolutely loved---two thin flounder filets, with a crabmeat mixture packed in between and covered with capers and hollandaise sauce.  I still crave that dish!

Respected Contributor

We love fish and eat it at least once a week sometimes more. Just be careful to look at the packaging as to where the fish comes from. My husband told me some disgusting info about fish that comes from China.