Frequent Contributor

I an looking for a recipe for stuffed tomatoes. Anyone have a favorite? 

Respected Contributor

@4birds  For what purpose?  I mean, main dish, appetizer, etc.?

As an hors d'oeuvre, I have scooped out the center of grape tomatoes and stuffed them with finely shredded lettuce, added a  dollop of mayonnaise then garnished with finely crumbled bacon.  It may be too tedious for some, but has always been a hit with guests.  

For a light meal, larger tomatoes can be cut into wedges but kept intact at the base, so that the wedges can be fanned open.  Then stuff with anything you want.  Egg salad, tuna or shrimp salad, the BLT combination mentioned above, etc. are all good.  Plate on a bed of lettuce and encircle with an array of crackers. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@4birds wrote:

I an looking for a recipe for stuffed tomatoes. Anyone have a favorite? 

Cooked or raw?  Both?

Honored Contributor

Re: Stuffed Tomatoes

[ Edited ]

@4birds Guess I didn't get enough sleep last night! I gave you recipes for stuffed peppers and you asked for stuffed tomatoes. Cat Mad  I'll remove if you request.....sorryHeart

Yes, I highly recommed these two stuffed pepper recipes:

Detoxinista        Stuffed peppers....these are filled with quinoa, mushrooms, zucchini,

white beans topped with marinara sauce....mouth watering 

Minimalist Baker     Stuffed peppers with a Mexican twist...soooo good

Everyone loves these recipes, they are very tasty as well as healthy and simple to make. I have red peppers in the refrig now so I'll be making one of these tonight...yumms!

Frequent Contributor

Cooked-oven baked. thanks

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@4birds  For what purpose?  I mean, main dish, appetizer, etc.?

As an hors d'oeuvre, I have scooped out the center of grape tomatoes and stuffed them with finely shredded lettuce, added a  dollop of mayonnaise then garnished with finely crumbled bacon.  It may be too tedious for some, but has always been a hit with guests.  

For a light meal, larger tomatoes can be cut into wedges but kept intact at the base, so that the wedges can be fanned open.  Then stuff with anything you want.  Egg salad, tuna or shrimp salad, the BLT combination mentioned above, etc. are all good.  Plate on a bed of lettuce and encircle with an array of crackers. 

@IamMrsG@4birds,You could also do pasta salad.

Trusted Contributor

@4birds

Several years ago on the old Recipe Swap, I asked a similar question.  Here are the two replies I got. 

LoLa  08/13/2013 at 1:08 PM

This is what I do with them.... Slice the tomatoes in half horizontally and remove seeds. In a small bowl... combine breadcrumbs, chopped parsley or basil, salt, pepper, minced garlic and just enough extra virgin oil olive to combine it. Place the tomatoes (cut side up) on a cookie sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Fill the tomatoes with the breadcrumb mixture. Try not to over pack them with the filling. It's the 'suggestion' of filling that makes these tasty. Preheat oven to 350 and bake them from about 20-25 minutes.

Hope this helps,

LoLa

---

Deadeye Da­isy  08/15/2013 at 6:38 PM

I keep a 'topping' mix in freezer all the time, so I can make the tomatoes on the fly. Got hooked on these back in the late '70s at Ruths Chris Steak House. This is most like the original Ruths Chris broiled tomatoes. In the past 10 years, they changed their recipe.

I make a BUNCH of this mix. 2 cups panko 1 stick unsalted butter, melted (don't use salted butter, and don't use any kind of imitation spread). ¼ to ½ cup finely grated parmesan (or whatever hard cheese leftovers happen to be in the cheese drawer). 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (if I happen to have it, I use Rhingeld instead) Fresh ground pepper

Combine all ingredients and keep in freezer.

I make quite a bit of this and freeze. It will always be easy to remove just what you need, as it won't freeze rock hard.

I don't even bother to thaw. Just remove what I need and crumble on to of either small tomato halves or thick slices of larger tomatos. For myself, I generally will broil 2 or 3 small tomato halves in the Breville.

Daisy

Frequent Contributor

Thany you, this is just what I am looking for.