Trusted Contributor

Bread Pudding for ncascade and Other Pudding Lovers

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1

ncascade,  At one time (in a thread called Chocolate Bread Pudding started by Vamp) you were looking for a bread pudding recipe you and your dad loved that featured raisin bread, half and half, and coffee.  You thought it came from a Good Housekeeping magazine.  I was browsing through my old collection of clippings recently and while I didn’t find the exact recipe you wanted, I did find these two.  Perhaps the proportions will help you recreate the one you remember.  (Lots of Bread Pudding recipes call for raisins; oddly, very few call for Raisin Bread itself.)

(1)

Coffee Bread Pudding with Irish Cream

From “Coffee and Tea 1992” by Shannon Jeter Gridley

Makes 8 servings

Prep: 10 mins, Cooking time 1 hour

2 cups milk

1 cup half and half

1 cup strong coffee

2-3 tablespoons butter, softened

8 to 10 slices stale French baguette, 1/2” thick

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

Whipped Cream with Irish Cream liqueur, optional

Preheat oven to 350°. Heat milk, half and half, and coffee in large microwavable bowl on high until hot, about 2 minutes.  Cool slightly.

Grease a 9”x5” bread pan and set aside.

Butter bread slices and place in pan, slightly overlapping to give a shingle effect. Add sugar, salt, and vanilla to milk; stir until blended. Pour over bread.  Bake 1 hour.

Per serving, with 1 TB whipped cream: 313 calories

(No specific recipe for the Irish Cream Whipped Cream was included.)

(2)

Raisin Bread Pudding

(source not given -- newspaper clipping)

Makes 16 servings -- each 255 calories

1 1-pound loaf raisin bread with cinnamon

5 cups milk

2 cups half and half

1 cup sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla

6 large eggs

1/2 cup sliced almonds

Confectioners’ sugar

Use a 13x9 dish. Preheat oven to 350°.  Break bread in 1” pieces.  Whisk together the milk, half and half, sugar, vanilla, and eggs.  Soak bread in milk mixture for 15 minutes.  Spoon into baking dish.  Sprinkle with almonds.

Set baking dish in large roasting pan. Place on oven rack.  Fill roaster with boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish.  Bake 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove from oven carefully. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.  Serve warm or cold.

ETA -- I have not tried either of these two recipes -- sometimes old requests stick in my head, especially the ones where nobody had a recipe to offer. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Bread Pudding for ncascade and Other Pudding Lovers

Your post just reminded me of something.  My daughter just told me my grandson posted on his YouTube Account a tutorial on how to make pudding!  I said, "Ummm!  That worries me".  She said, "His face is never shown". 

I assume it was from the box.  My late husband's favorite thing in the world was bread pudding.  I never made it for him (wouldn't know where to start).  With that in mind, he'd probably say he'd want to marry you or move in with you.  Ha!

Honored Contributor

I never heard of bread pudding until I saw it on QVC seaveral years back. I have still never ate any. It does sound yummy.

Trusted Contributor

Try adding some lightly sautéed apple chunks (sautéed in butter with a little sugar and cinnamon) to a  raisin bread pudding.  Usually I use toasted pecans or walnuts when I use apples. 

Esteemed Contributor

OMG, sounds yummy!

Haven't made any in awhile. Was a staple in my grandmother's kitchen. I saved odds & ends of french bread, raisin, cinnamon or baguettes in the freezer and used these.

A little warm brandy in a vanilla sauce....yummy on a cold night.

Honored Contributor

I'm a huge bread pudding fan... my favorite dessert.  I think my favorite variation is to use eggnog for part of the milk for a Christmas dessert.  Serve with an amaretto sauce. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment