Honored Contributor

Let me start out by saying, I never made Stuffed Cabbage Soup before.

Went to a Farmers Market. It had so many tasty things to buy. I decided to try sauerkraut from a vendor. The ingredients were cabbage, salt and water. Fixed it with the fresh perioges I bought. Did not care for the sauerkraut and of course I bought the large container. Guess I am not used to fresh sauerkraut.

So do you think it will work to use the sauerkraut in a Stuffed Cabbage Soup? Since it is only cabbage, salt and water?

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla  If you don't like the sauerkraut, you won't like the soup. We make our own sauerkraut every year. Yes, it is just cabbage and salt (we don't add water). However, it is fermented in a large crock in our basement for 6 weeks. This fermentation turns it into sauerkraut. It's a completely different taste from just cabbage. I personally love homemade sauerkraut, but not everyone does. You might try adding apples, onions or something else to make it more palatable for you. Or give it to someone who likes homemade sauerkraut. 

Regular Contributor

I agree with the previous response that it has a different flavor than just cabbage. I usually take pure sauerkraut and mix in some raw cabbage with a smokey type of meat. It cuts the vinegar taste from the sauerkraut. Cook it all together for a few hours so the flavors meld.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stuffed Cabbage Soup

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla 

Your idea of making cabbage soup from the kraut you don't like the taste of now, is a very bad idea, as you will wind up with a big pot of nasty soup.  

However you can turn that leftover kraut into a very tasty kraut salad.   

Heat 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar, and 2 Tbsp. oil to a boil.   Pour over drained kraut, chopped celery, onion, grated carrot and green pepper.  Stir well and chill.   

Valued Contributor

@lovethgedress wrote:

I agree with the previous response that it has a different flavor than just cabbage. I usually take pure sauerkraut and mix in some raw cabbage with a smokey type of meat. It cuts the vinegar taste from the sauerkraut. Cook it all together for a few hours so the flavors meld.

Yes..add some onion, bacon & caraway seeds to the sauerkraut/cabbage & lay some bratwurst on top...it's delicious!!

Honored Contributor

I have never had stuffed cabbage soup.

We make Sarma which is stuffed cabbage with sauerkraut.  I eat a little of it, but I do not  like salty foods.

sauerkraut is too salty for my taste.  My husband, his family and mine go crazy for it.  We have it every Christmas.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla    You need simething, some meat, to flavor and temper the kraut.  My favorite thing this time if year is to slow cook it with a pork roast, adding a chopped apple, onion and a tablespoon of brown sugar to cut some of the sour.  Cook until the meat falls apart.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have never had stuffed cabbage soup.

We make Sarma which is stuffed cabbage with sauerkraut.  I eat a little of it, but I do not  like salty foods.

sauerkraut is too salty for my taste.  My husband, his family and mine go crazy for it.  We have it every Christmas.

@Carmie    I had a male friend who made his own sauerkraut and every Christmas fixed it with pork and served it with his turkey.  I always thought that was a strange combination.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

As far as I know, stuffed cabbage nor stuffed cabbage soup involve sauerkraut.  Nor does unstuffed cabbage. casserole.  I LOVE them all!

Honored Contributor

Re: Stuffed Cabbage Soup

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624   My husband's family serves sauerkraut with chicken and every other meat you can think of.  They even make a salad out of it by adding oil and veggies.

My DH makes his own shredded sauerkraut in crocks in our shed.  In addition, he hollows out the core of the cabbage and brines the whole head.  He uses a full leaf of cabbage to roll around meat.

This year he didn't get around to it...no worries.  We have local butchers who make sauerkraut and sell it shredded or the whole head to make Sarma.

Everyone  seems to love it.  He normally makes about 80 Sarma rolls for Christmas and they are gone almost immediately.  

Sarma stuffed with ground beef and rice is served with sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and bite size pieces of smokedpork sausage which contains paprika... responsible for the red colored juice.

6AFC1653-BA5A-470D-924D-22F0A940032C.jpeg