Contributor

Re: Slow cooker chocolate candy - help!

On 12/22/2014 Topaz Gem said:
On 12/22/2014 VaBelle35 said:

You can use Candy Coat (which are the white chips that they sell for decorating at Michaels, AC Moore, Walmart. Wilton Brand makes Candy Coat. It has no cocoa butter in it just shortening I think.

I have heard the same thing about newer crock pots running hotter. It impacts chicken dishes a lot because boneless skinless chicken gets dried out quickly.

Me too. My older crockpot makes great candy, but I have to be very careful if I use one of my newer ones. Also, the candy recipe I use is similar to Trisha Yearwood's, but with mine, you cook on high for 1 hour, then turn to low and stir every 15 minutes. Stirring, I believe, is what keeps the mixture from burning, as you lose heat in the crockpot every time you lift the lid.

Thankfully, my crockpot is older, so it worked out fine. I did stir after the first hour. Can't wait to try it again, putting my own spin on it.
Contributor

On 12/22/2014 RoinAZ89 said: Ladies I wish I had brought the recipe with me, will try to remember it. I am from south part of Az sitting inSo MN on a dark dreary cold afternoon. if I forget any thing will ck with Dd when she comes home from work. In crock pot layer. 16 oz jar dry roasted peanut, 12 oz can salted cashews, bag of semi sweet chocolate chips, 1 block of reg chocolate bark broken up and one of white also broken. Recipe did not call for it but we added dried cranberries or cherries. I think time and temp was 3 hrs. Let sit for a bit and then stir well. If correction is needed I will post
Sounds yummy with the dried fruit and variety of nuts!
Trusted Contributor

I made Trisha Yearwoods slow cooker candy, but I cooked it on my keep warm setting after reading others had it burn on low and it turned out excellent. I couldn't find the almond bark at my grocery store, but Amazon had it online.