Contributor

Slow cooker chocolate candy - help!

I saw the recipe so kindly posted and want to try my hand. I've never made candy, and this looks easy. But, I can't find the white almond bark. Can I use white chocolate chips instead? Thanks for any advice!
Honored Contributor

Re: Slow cooker chocolate candy - help!

You can but you have to add Crisco/shortening to make it work and then you have to measure out the amount you need for your recipe. You can probably find something on the internet that gives you the ratio of white chocolate to Crisco.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I've never used white almond bark, only white chocolate chips for my slow cooker candy, and it's always turned out great.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

Do you have a Walmart? That's where I bought mine. It's also called vanilla almond bark.

Contributor

Thanks, ladies! I had some white chocolate chips on hand and so used those, as I needed the candy for tomorrow. Yup, I'm a procrastinator,lol. @pupwhipped, I never thought to check Walmart, thanks! Will do that for my next batch.
Trusted Contributor

Be careful. I made Trisha Yearwood's recipe and it burned. Ruined. Followed directions by layering and not stirring and cooked on low for 3 hrs. Wasted lots of money on sweet chocolate, milk chocolate, white melting chips and chocolate chips. If I were to do it again, which I won't, I would only cook it 2 hrs, not 3.

Super Contributor

Two things: White chocolate chips are much sweeter than the non chocolate. Our Vons' (Safeway brand) offers a plain white chips; they worked perfectly.

Baileysue, since I posted the original recipe, I feel bad about your burnt candy. I have an old 4-qt crockpot and it worked well for me twice. I think the problem may be what I've heard others talk about, that the newer models run hotter. I'm so sorry about your results. When it works, it really is a delicious and simple recipe.

Honored Contributor

You can use Candy Coat (which are the white chips that they sell for decorating at Michaels, AC Moore, Walmart. Wilton Brand makes Candy Coat. It has no cocoa butter in it just shortening I think.

I have heard the same thing about newer crock pots running hotter. It impacts chicken dishes a lot because boneless skinless chicken gets dried out quickly.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

On 12/22/2014 VaBelle35 said:

You can use Candy Coat (which are the white chips that they sell for decorating at Michaels, AC Moore, Walmart. Wilton Brand makes Candy Coat. It has no cocoa butter in it just shortening I think.

I have heard the same thing about newer crock pots running hotter. It impacts chicken dishes a lot because boneless skinless chicken gets dried out quickly.

Me too. My older crockpot makes great candy, but I have to be very careful if I use one of my newer ones. Also, the candy recipe I use is similar to Trisha Yearwood's, but with mine, you cook on high for 1 hour, then turn to low and stir every 15 minutes. Stirring, I believe, is what keeps the mixture from burning, as you lose heat in the crockpot every time you lift the lid.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Occasional Contributor

Ladies I wish I had brought the recipe with me, will try to remember it. I am from south part of Az sitting inSo MN on a dark dreary cold afternoon. if I forget any thing will ck with Dd when she comes home from work. In crock pot layer. 16 oz jar dry roasted peanut, 12 oz can salted cashews, bag of semi sweet chocolate chips, 1 block of reg chocolate bark broken up and one of white also broken. Recipe did not call for it but we added dried cranberries or cherries. I think time and temp was 3 hrs. Let sit for a bit and then stir well. If correction is needed I will post