Honored Contributor
On 11/25/2014 ECBG said:
On 11/25/2014 happy housewife said:

I wanted to add - I do not use the crockpot for chicken as I feel it makes it way too dry.

Agree. I bought a slow cooker that has a knob, not the programming and put a lamp timer on it. Now it turns on when I'm at work, six hours later because it turns itself on! No more over cooking! (and I only use low).

You are a genius! I love those timers and never thought of using one for my cooker. Love this idea!

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add - I do not use the crockpot for chicken as I feel it makes it way too dry.

You have to be WAY more careful about the kind of chicken you use in a slow cooker. A lot of slow cooker recipes use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts because the meat doesn't dry out as easily. I sometimes just dump sauce over meat with no recipe, so once I read that and realized how many recipes I had seen with thighs instead of breasts, I took it seriously. It definitely makes a difference and I wish I'd known that earlier.

Honored Contributor

We only like white meat chicken. But I agree that most crockpot recipes tell you to use thighs.

Super Contributor

You must be certain that you put the lid on properly so the steam doesn't escape when cooking. As for the meat being bpoiled - I don't see how that can be avoided, as it is , in fact, being boiled. I like my meats to have a sauce to them so I like the meat cooked this way. If you don't like a sauce or gravy you aren't going to like crockpot cooking as the liquid is a part of the process. You can't really dry roast things in a crockpot. However, it could still be used to make soups, stews and chili.

Thanks, Happy, for the tip about the lid. I don't mind sauce, but we must be using too much liquid because that isn't what we end up with!

Honored Contributor
On 11/26/2014 autumnfaire said:

You must be certain that you put the lid on properly so the steam doesn't escape when cooking. As for the meat being bpoiled - I don't see how that can be avoided, as it is , in fact, being boiled. I like my meats to have a sauce to them so I like the meat cooked this way. If you don't like a sauce or gravy you aren't going to like crockpot cooking as the liquid is a part of the process. You can't really dry roast things in a crockpot. However, it could still be used to make soups, stews and chili.

Thanks, Happy, for the tip about the lid. I don't mind sauce, but we must be using too much liquid because that isn't what we end up with!

If you dredge the meat in flour then brown it before you add it to the pot the flour will help thicken the liquid - if it still needs more thickening about a half hour before it is done you can add some cornstarch and water - it works better than flour/water in the crockpot. I use about a heaping tbsp of cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 c of water - add and stir and it will thicken.

Honored Contributor

The title of this thread gave me a . I'm a slow cooker too and I face many challenges in the kitchen.

Respected Contributor
I've got meatballs (frozen Trader Joe's) and General Tso sauce in crock pot right now for party tonight. I make ribs,chili and pulled beef sandwiches with jar of pepperoni or giardiniera, packet of Italian dressing mix and beef boulion cube. Yum
Esteemed Contributor

I tried the pork chop and sauerkraut recipe happy housewife suggested and it was very very good! I cooked mine 4 hours on high. Will be trying this one again.

Any other tried and true meat recipes? I am going to try some chicken thighs this weekend.

. LM
Honored Contributor

Question, are you doing it on low? I use the bag also. Check out a few on line recipes to see how they use the liquids. I don't know liquid ratios, I just use my recipes and it's always ok. I'm sure someone here, will be able to help you on that. I have no idea.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks qualitygal. I put the slow cooker on high for four hours. That is what the recipe called for online.

I would be interested in what the difference is if it is cooked low and longer versus high and faster. Is there any difference in taste? The pork chops were really good.

Also, does it make a difference if the meat has a bone or is boneless in the crockpot? I look for bone in meat in traditional cooking as I think it has a better taste. Just curious. TIA.

LM