Super Contributor

I get home from work late, so we thought a slow cooker would be a good idea. But, we haven't figured out the liquid ratio. Even when we use a recipe, it's either too dry or 'boiled'. What are some of your best recipes for a novice! Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Those problems you mention might be the reason some people don't like slow cooked meals. I often use my slow cooker for beef and pork roasts; top the meat with one can of condensed soup. They come out just right.

Respected Contributor

I have a couple slow cooker cookbooks and my slow cooker came with a cookbooklet. I've never had anything not turn out perfectly.

Super Contributor

Read the appliance/cook book that came with your slow cooker. There are some differences when cooking with a slow-cooker; it's not 'cooking as usual'. It's not so much about a ratio as it is about a principle. You need to read that, understand it, and make it your own.

One thing that slow cooker cookbooks don't usually address is the proper preparation of the meat. Wanting to keep it simple, they don't suggest browning the meat, beef in particular, before continuing with the recipe. But doing so, browning meat in a skillet and then using some of the liquid from the recipe to deglaze the pan, greatly enhances the flavor of the dish. After the meat is browned, put it in the crockpot and continue with the recipe.

One of the several recipes includes putting the vegetables on the bottom, with meat on top of them, so that they are fully cooked. It's things like this that make a difference in the results.

This thread, posted below, addresses your specific request:

http://community.qvc.com/forums/recipe/topic/478730/post-your-good-slow-cooker-recipes.aspx

Valued Contributor

Hi. I have had my slow cooker/crock pot for probably going on 20 years. (maybe time for a new one soon???). And while I like it, I don't use it THAT often. There are a few soups and chilis I really like to make in it, but that's about it. Interestingly enough, I do not cook meat, and all my crock pot meals are vegetarian. I have never had an issue with the liquid ratio. I know there are some wonderful crock pot recipes and cook books out there. In fact, I have a great vegetarian one that I've been using for years. I would keep looking on line to see other recipes.

Super Contributor

Thanks for your replies. It didn't come with a cookbook, but I will check the link.

Honored Contributor

I am a frequent slow cooker user and I completely agree with post #3 - browning the meat makes a huge difference.It helps the meat to retain some of the juices. I am also not a believer in using lipton onion soup or any kind of dry rubs in the slow cooker as I feel they are way too salty which ruins the meat IMO. When I make a roast - I coat it in flour and then brown it in the fry pan - while it browns I put a can of mushroom soup in the cooker - a half can of beef broth and a TBSP of Worcestershire sauce, and stir well.Add some onions and carrots and potatoes. Add the meat on top of the veggies, season it with salt , pepper and garlic powder.If you are going to leave it to cook a long time (greater than 6 hours) you have to use the low setting.When you come home the meat will be fork tender. I also find it is best to use a cheaper cut of meat like a round roast instead of pricier , more tender cuts. The cooking so long will tenderize a cheaper cut and is sorta a waste of an already good , tender cut like a sirloin.

We love sauerkraut and pork chops cooked in the crockpot. Brown the meat first and put it on the bottom of the pot - add drained sauerkraut then add a half can of water. I like to put some caraway seed and some chopped onion in my sauerkraut and , if I have one a chopped up apple. Once we get home , for the last 1/2 hr of cooking DH likes me to add weiners on top. Sometimes , instead of pork chops I use kielbasa sausage. I make my mashed potatoes as usual.

I always use the crockpot to make all soups and chili as well as my spaghetti sauce.

You must be certain that you put the lid on properly so the steam doesn't escape when cooking. As for the meat being bpoiled - I don't see how that can be avoided, as it is , in fact, being boiled. I like my meats to have a sauce to them so I like the meat cooked this way. If you don't like a sauce or gravy you aren't going to like crockpot cooking as the liquid is a part of the process. You can't really dry roast things in a crockpot. However, it could still be used to make soups, stews and chili.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add - I do not use the crockpot for chicken as I feel it makes it way too dry.

Honored Contributor
On 11/25/2014 happy housewife said:

I wanted to add - I do not use the crockpot for chicken as I feel it makes it way too dry.

Agree. I bought a slow cooker that has a knob, not the programming and put a lamp timer on it. Now it turns on when I'm at work, six hours later because it turns itself on! No more over cooking! (and I only use low).

Esteemed Contributor

Happy housewife, that pork chop and sauerkraut recipe sounds delicious!