Honored Contributor

I needed some shredded chicken for a recipe today. I poached a few boneless skinless breasts and as soon as I removed them from the pot, I put them in a deep-ish mixing bowl and tried the hand mixer method, using my Kitchenaid 9-speed.  Licketysplit it was done and beautifully shredded.  I'm assuming the same would work for slow cooked  "pulled" pork or tender beef.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

It's funny you mentioned this. I watch a Youtuber who has two Frenchie dogs. One has a finicky appetite so she cooks chicken breast for her and adds it to her kibble. She said she bought a hand mixer for exactly what you're talking about--shredding the meat and she said it works great! I wondered about it but now that you've confirmed it I think it's a great tip! 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   I've been doing that for several years and it works like a charm.  Yes, it works for pork too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I do this to add eggs, onions and seasonings to ground meat also, doing it by hand my hands would always get so cold from the meat right out of the fridge.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch Good to know, was wondering if the hand mixer would work.  Will be getting out the Kitchenaid hand held soon Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes, it's the only way I do this. No messy hands.

Regular Contributor
For those of you that do this, do you have/use a special attachment or just use the regular beaters?
Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinchGreat idea!I will try this

Honored Contributor

@whatsmyname wrote:
For those of you that do this, do you have/use a special attachment or just use the regular beaters?

Just the regular beaters on the hand mixer.  In the big stand mixer, I think the paddle is recommended but I'm not 100% sure on that.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch ..... THANK YOU for posting this tip.  I just did it for first time using chicken breasts also.  I used my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer with the hook (for bread dough?) attachment ....perfect!!!!  I imagine hand mixer works good too with regular beaters.  Great tip!  I'm trying a new recipe for baked chicken sandwiches....if a winner I will post it.