Trusted Contributor
I’d love to make an Italian cheesecake for thanksgiving. They’re so light and good! I found a few recipes. Some call for ricotta and cream cheese. Other recipes have only ricotta. So I thought I’d see if anyone has a recipe to share.
Trusted Contributor

My Aunt Sue used to alway make her ricotta cheesecake for any family holidays.  

I just googled Lidia B.'s version.  Looks very good.  

https://lidiasitaly.com/recipes/italian-cheesecake

I'm sorry I cannot help you, but I want to thank you for reminding me of some happy family memories.Heart

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:
I’d love to make an Italian cheesecake for thanksgiving. They’re so light and good! I found a few recipes. Some call for ricotta and cream cheese. Other recipes have only ricotta. So I thought I’d see if anyone has a recipe to share.

So many versions out there.  The ones I think worth making are the old-fashion ones.  One of my highschool friend's mother would spend an entire day baking them from scratch.  She made her own crust and would use cheesecloth to get the excess liquid out of the ricotta.  She was straight from Italy.  Now they know how to make a good cheesecake.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Ricotta cheesecake

[ Edited ]

My SIL is the cheesecake maker in the family.  She makes this recipe for the filling, then bakes it in a graham cracker crust in a springform pan.  It takes 2 days to make from start to finish:

2 lbs whole ricotta cheese

4 eggs. separated

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup light rum

1 tbsp flour

1 tbsp lemon zest

1/8 tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla

Drain ricotta overnight in refrigerator in a fine-mesh strainer lined with 2 layers of paper towels.  Set over bowl to catch liquid.

Process drained ricotta in food processor until smooth.  Mix in egg yolks, sugar, rum, flour, lemon zest, salt, and vanilla.  Reserve in big bowl.

Brush sides of pan holding crust with melted butter. 

Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.  Fold into ricotta mixture until well-mixed.  Pour filling into cooled crust.

Bake at 325 degrees until center reaches 150 degrees, about 1 hr and 15 minutes.

Cool for 5 minutes on wire rack.  Run knife around outer edge of crust.  Finish cooling for 3 hours.  Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. 

To serve, remove sides of pan and let set at room temperature for 30 minutes. 

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter , that looks wonderful !!

Trusted Contributor

@roeroe1005 don't you just love how certain food items can bring back such good memories!

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter thanks so much!  looks wonderful!

Honored Contributor

I've never had an "Italian" cheesecake, but I'm surprised at pine nuts!Smiley Happy