Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recipe for Beef Stew?

[ Edited ]

@twinkies I do not believe so, Campbells specifically has a flavor tnat is listed as Consomme, I have not been able to find a generic version of it, I will check google and see for sure and post it!

Esteemed Contributor

@twinkies Here is the link I found that shows the difference betwen broth and consomme:

http://healthresearchfunding.org/difference-beef-broth-beef-consomme/

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@ChiliPepper Oh yes, I have never tried it in the crockpot but I can't see why not, not sure about the browning the meat beforehand though, maybe someone could chime in on that?

@CareBears,I don't brown and add the extra fat and calories.  I add a little worcheschire sauce and a drop or two of soy sauce.  (DH can't take beef with garlic).  I cut the carrots in sticks and put them on the bottom.  Beef stew takes less time in the crock pot because of the smaller pieces.

Valued Contributor

thank you !

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

"Care Bears", Thank you , This is good to know , I like to cook and now I can see why consumme is better added to this beef stew recipe , it is thicker and richer , Many thanks !

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I take the easy route.  I buy a package of McCormick Beef Stew Season Mix and follow the directions on the back of the package.  Its done on the stove top.  Potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.   I play with recipes, so I'll add a bay leaf and sometimes a bit of red wine.  

@AlleghenyWhen I taught one of our counselors made soup for a dept meeting we had at lunch.  She cubed the meat, carrots, potatoes, and onion small, filled her large crockpot with water and used the McCormick Beef Stew Seasoning Mix envelope to make the soup.  It was fantastic!

I did wish they had put less salt in when I just did stew at home. 

Honored Contributor

I have a couple beef stew recipes I make but the easiest and best tasting is hunters stew. You can make it with ground beef or ground venison. It is better with venison. 

brown the ground meat - place in crockpot, add chopped up carrots onion,potatoes &  celery. season with salt, pepper and garlic, add one can cream of mushroom soup, one can golden mushroom soup and one can beef broth. A few shakes worchestershire sauce. stir it up and cook 6 hours. About a half hour before it's done add a package of frozen peas and let them cook.If you add the peas too soon they turn nasty - don't cook any longer than a half hour.

Valued Contributor

Carebears, I made your stew yesterday and it is delicious!  I used my 6 quart Temptations cooker and it took a little longer to get the sauce to a gravy consistency.  Thanks so much for the recipe! 

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@Harpa I have been making this recipe for over 30 years and have served it to many people over the years and it has always been well received to the point when I serve it to guests I have written up several copies of the recipes as it is easily one of my most requested recipes:

1 to 2 Pounds Stew Meat

1 Can Of Cream Of Mushroom Soup

1 Can Consomme' Soup

4 to 5 Carrots

4 To 5 Potatoes

3 to 4 Stalks Celery

1 Large Onion

Arrange stew meat on bottom of a casserole.  Cut and add vegetables by layers.  Mix the two soups together and pour over meat and vegetables.  Bake at 300 for 2-3 Hours.

You can bake in oven,  but I have always made mine in the Nesco or my Ninja Cooker.

@CareBears This is how I was making pot roast in the crockpot all day except I used broth instead of consomme. I found a recipe making pot roast in my dutch oven we really like & will probably use from now on.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz I never thought of doing a Pot Roast that way, thanks for the idea, will be doing that in the future!