Frequent Contributor

Yes, I use the Pressure Cooker for Beef Stew and Pot Roast. Always comes out Great. I was very hesitant to use one when I first got it 40 years ago, but now it is my go to. I have my mothers old Mirro Matic, bought a new version but prefer my Mother's old one.

Respected Contributor

Not to derail the conversation, but I thought I'd share a variation on the theme of Beef Stew.  I have a few to fit that bill, but here is one we have enjoyed for years:

Sweet-Sour Beef Stew

1 ½ pounds beef stew meat, cut in 1-inch cubes
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup sliced onion
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce (1 cup)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (6 items to this point)    
4 teaspoons cornstarch
Hot cooked noodles
Poppy seed (optional)

Brown meat in hot oil. Add next 6 ingredients (to line in list), ½ cup water, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over low heat ‘til meat is tender, about 2 hours.

Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water; add to beef mixture. Cook and stir ‘til thickened and bubbly.

Serve over noodles sprinkled with poppy seed. Garnish with carrot curls and parsley, if desired.

Makes 4 servings.

Mrs. G's note:  I skip the addition of cornstarch and water to thicken.  We like it 'as is.'

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recipe for Beef Stew?

[ Edited ]

Thanks, everyone!

CareBears, that is a great, easy recipe!

Nightowlz, ahh yes! I remember now, that's how my Mom made it a half decade ago! No roux, but browned the meat dredged in flour.

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

Not to derail the conversation, but I thought I'd share a variation on the theme of Beef Stew.  I have a few to fit that bill, but here is one we have enjoyed for years:

Sweet-Sour Beef Stew

I am so glad you derailed! This also sounds great, especially w/ those noodles!
Trusted Contributor

Now I want pot roast Smiley Happy My favorite meal.

I use almost all the different variations posted, except the sweet and sour. That sounds good too.

I made one recently with a carton of mushroom soup (like the cartons that chicken stock comes in).

It was gluten and dairy free (canned is not), no msg,, no preservatives. I am not fond of mushroom soup alone, but it is a must add for pot roast.

This carton of mushroom soup was SO good, and my dinner came out more flavorful than ever. I had been looking for a pure mushroom soup, found it at Whole Foods.

Honored Contributor

I've been using this recipe for over 30 yrs.

BEEF STEW

2 lbs. Beef stew meat, cut into cubes or bite size pieces

1 med. Onion, peeled, sliced and separated into rings

4 ribs of Celery, cut in chunks on the diagonal

6 Carrots, cleaned or peeled and cut into chunks (or 1 bag of baby carrots)

2 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp. sugar

2 Tbsp. tapioca granules (for thickening)

½ Cup V-8 juice (tomato juice is fine but I like V-8 better)

Potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks and rinsed

Place meat in a casserole or baking dish.  Add the vegetables.  Blend salt, sugar and tapioca granules.  Sprinkle mixture over the vegetables.  Pour on the V-8 juice.  Cover the pan with a well-sealing lid or aluminum foil sealing edges well.  Bake in a 250° oven for 4 hours. 

If you like potatoes in your stew add them for the last hour or so, making sure you cover the pan again.

You can also just make mashed potatoes on the side or leave the potatoes out altogether and serve the stew over egg noodles.

If you prefer to use a crock pot, get it started around 10:30 or 11:00 AM on the low setting and it will be ready for dinner.

Regular Contributor

i GET A ROAST, FREEZE FOR A BIT TO SLICE EASILY, CUT SLICES AN INCH OR SO, THEN CUBE, PUT IN BAG WITH FLOUR SALT, PEPPER TO COAT, BROWN AND PUT THE BROWNED MEAT IN SLOW COOKER , I USE MY NICER DICER TO CUBE UP ALL THE VEGGIES THE SAME, WITH A BEEF STEW MIX, BETTER THAN BOUILLON OR WHATEVER YOU PREFER, COOK ALL DAY, ADD WHATEVER SEASONING YOU LIKE, BAY LEAF TOO, I PREFER CUTTING THE ROAST INTO CUBES FOR MORE TENDER MEAT, MY BEEF STEW GOES QUICK, ADD BEEF STOCK, WATER ETC. I PROBABLY FORGOT A FEW STEPS HERE. OF COURSE I ADD LIQUID IN BEGINNING.

Respected Contributor

I take the easy route.  I buy a package of McCormick Beef Stew Season Mix and follow the directions on the back of the package.  Its done on the stove top.  Potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.   I play with recipes, so I'll add a bay leaf and sometimes a bit of red wine.  

Honored Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

Now I want pot roast Smiley Happy My favorite meal.

I use almost all the different variations posted, except the sweet and sour. That sounds good too.

I made one recently with a carton of mushroom soup (like the cartons that chicken stock comes in).

It was gluten and dairy free (canned is not), no msg,, no preservatives. I am not fond of mushroom soup alone, but it is a must add for pot roast.

This carton of mushroom soup was SO good, and my dinner came out more flavorful than ever. I had been looking for a pure mushroom soup, found it at Whole Foods.

@gabstoomuch I'm hungry for pot roast too. I just bought a chuck roast. Going to get it out of the freezer now so I can make it tomorrow. My chicken noodle soup will be gone tonight after we eat if for dinner.

Valued Contributor

This looks wonderful , Is beef consumme the same thing as beef broth?

thanks

cathy from ma