Regular Contributor

Really savory veg soup recipie, please?

Would appreciate a really savory veg soup recipie if anyone has one they love. Mine never seem to be super "tasty" tho I like to add basil, thyme, parsley....all the usual. Yet when I go out, a lot of restaurants seem to have "yummier" blends of flavors. Is there a soup base, or seasonings mix I'm missing?  Suggestions appreciated!  Thanks so much for any ideas. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Really savory veg soup recipie, please?

The best soups are made with homemade stock. Find one you like and use it in place of plain H20, which adds zero flavor.

Respected Contributor

I can offer a couple of my favorites.  This first one is quick, easy and hearty, good for a weeknight dinner.  I like to serve warm breadsticks with this one.

Rita's Heikenfeld's 30-minute vegetable soup
Cincinnati Enquirer | Published Jan. 24, 2016 
    One of my most requested recipes, this is a favorite with kids and adults.  Also, throw in any stray vegetables lurking in the fridge. Ditto with extra cooked pasta or rice.  And if your family doesn't like spicy soup, use regular canned diced tomatoes. Pass plenty of cheddar or Parmesan.

l pound lean ground beef: sirloin or ground round
1 generous cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon garlic
1 jar, 20-30 oz. chunky garden style pasta sauce
2 cans beef broth
Water to taste (start with 1 soup can of water and go from there)
1 can, 10 oz., chopped tomatoes and chilies
1 pound or so frozen mixed vegetables, thawed if you have time
Several handfuls any fresh greens (optional)
Cheddar or Parmesan for garnish

Sauté meat, onion and garlic together in large stockpot. "Sauté" simply means browning the meat with the onion and garlic. Drain any fat.

Now add everything else but the greens. If you have the 30 oz. jar of pasta sauce, add almost all but taste before adding the rest.

Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.

Just before serving: Toss in greens and cook until just wilted, about a minute more.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

In the strictest sense, I suppose this isn't a 'vegetable soup.'  Whatever category it falls in, I'm sharing it 'cause it's delicious.  The interspersed comments are Lavendersage's.

Zuppa Toscana 
QVC Recipe Swap | On 5/18/2011 by lavendersage

1 pound Italian sausage
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional..I don't use)
6 slices bacon, torn or cut into smaller pieces
1 large onion, diced    
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 - 2 ½ quarts (8 - 10 cups) chicken broth  
6 cups of potatoes, thinly sliced with skin on..russet or Yukon gold are good (about 3 russets)
1 cup half ‘n half
2- 3 cups of kale, in bite size pieces
top with grated Parmesan cheese

Remove the Italian sausage from casings and brown with red pepper flakes in a large pot. Drain and set aside.

Cook the bacon in the same pot until crisp. Drain, reserve about 2 tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the pot. Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.

Pour the chicken broth into the pot with the bacon and onion; bring to a boil.

Add the potatoes, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes on medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the half n half and the cooked sausage; heat through; don't boil.

Add the kale and let cook until desired tenderness...5-10 minutes.

Grate Parmesan cheese on top of servings.

Mrs.  G's notes: I stop the soup after the addition of the half 'n half and the cooked sausage.  Then, at serving time, I ladle out portions into a pot, add the kale then re-heat.
Respected Contributor

Again, this may not fit one's idea of 'soup.'  It's thick.  It's tasty.

Dom Deluise's Vegetable Stew 

Prep Time: 10 mins    Total Time: 1 hr       Servings: 6

"In the recipe description it said that this is one his mother's recipes. He states that it is very economical and was eaten frequently in his home growing up. Placed here for safe keeping, but sounds great! This recipe would be a great "springboard" so to speak, as you could easily add in zucchini, green beans, turnips, corn, you name it! He suggests serving with a hot loaf of bread. This is a very BASIC recipe, just as my mom would have made it with little to no seasoning. I personally add 1 tsp or more of Italian Seasoning as well as about ½  tsp of Seasoning Salt and then Tobasco sauce to taste. GREAT comfort food."

4 Tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 onions, sliced
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 celery ribs, cut into ½ inch pieces
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
2 cups frozen peas
1 28 ounce can stewed tomatoes
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
8 leaves fresh basil, coarsely chopped
10 -12 button mushrooms, quartered
black pepper to taste

In a large pan, gently heat the oil, add the garlic and onions. Saute for a few minutes.

Then add the carrots and celery, potatoes, both kinds of tomatoes, pepper, oregano and basil; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are just tender. 

Add mushrooms and peas and allow the stew to cook for 5 minutes more.

Mrs. G's notes: We liked this dish as written, with no embellishing.  This re-warms very well.  Serve with a warm, crusty bread and a pinot noir.
Regular Contributor

Wow....some great suggestions already! They all sound so yummy, especially for the cooler nights. Thanks so very much!

Esteemed Contributor

I love to make homemade soups and stews, although I definitely wouldn't call myself a Julia Child by any means. I don't follow a recipe for vegetable soup . I just do a few basics that seem to work for a nice flavor.

- I never use a bag of frozen vegetables that are labeled for stew or soup.

- Use fresh carrots, potatoes, red or yellow pepper, celery, onion as base vegetables; add whatever other veggies you have on hand. The only frozen veggie I use is sweet corn

- Use vegetable, chicken or beef stock. I don't make my own - just buy a brand name box/cans

- a quarter head of cabbage (chopped) gives a nice flavor to vegetable soup

- Don't skimp on salt....all those veggies need it; also use a seasoned salt, garlic powder and a bay leaf

- I always add a can of stewed tomatoes with the garlic, basil, etc. seasoning already added

- Use a small amount of green beans - too many overwhelm a soup (IMO)

- Give the soup enough time for the flavors to meld together....slow cook.

- Taste as you go and add seasonings as needed, e.g., a little sugar, seasoned salt, basil, garlic, pepper.

Sorry I don't have a recipe, but hopefully one or two of my suggestions might help.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
My homemade vegetable beef soup, easy

Two pounds lean ground beef (ground round or sirloin okay).
One cup onion sliced 
One cup onion sliced and diced
Two cloves garlic
Two 28-oz cartons beef broth 
One tablespoon Better than Boullion (low sodium)
Baby Carrots about 1 lb
Green Beans (frozen) about 1 lb
Two 15-oz cans golden sweet corn 
Two 28-ounce cans tomatoes (whole or diced)
Rice 
Water to taste 

Saute beef, onions and garlic together.  Before removing from fry pan, add the Tbsp Better than Boullion. Place this in stock pot. 

Add broth, baby carrots and green beans, bring to boil and cook until carrots and beans al dente. 

Add tomatoes and corn. Add any water you may need throughout the process. Add salt and pepper.  You can determine amount but you are going to add rice so it may require more than you anticipate.  The boullion is salty as is the broth.  Corn and carrots will usurp some of the salt.  Just add to taste. 

Rinse rice, salt in small amount of water and let stand for a few minutes.  Place into pot.  Add water at any point you feel you need to. Cook according to rice instructions but within the soup pot (do not use instant rice or minute rice).  

This makes a large amount of soup (I freeze but you may want to cut recipe in half).  I think the Better than Boullion gives it a hardy taste.  Always observe to see if you need to add water and taste to see if you need to add anything, i.e., salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper.  I do not use basil or other spices than the above noted as it takes away from the taste of the soup, IMHO.  I want it to taste beefy and like wintertime warmth. 

I do make a root soup in which I add greens to wilt stage but that is a totally different recipes which I have posted here before. I want this soup ot have a comfort food heft.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG   This sounds like a delicious rainy day weather food.  And I love the freedom to add....I'm that kind of cook, never follow a recipe strictly.  This is a great base!  I might throw in some red lentils to make the stew even heartier.  Thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

My mother made the best veggie soup that was sold in our restaurant.  When it was the soup of the day, people would call in and order it to go.

She would run out before the day was done, no matter how much she made.

You start with a beef bone and beef.  No soup is going to be the best with out the bone.  When the  bone is put on to simmer, add your fresh cut raw caggage at the same time.  Use a bay leaf or two ( to be removed later)

Once the stock is made, remove the bone and add the rest of your veggies. Don't forget tomatoes.  Use canned whole or fresh tomatoes in season.  I usually have whole  home grown tomatoes in my freezer.  They make the soup especially good.  I add diced potatoes at the end, so they don't get over cooked.