Honored Contributor

Re: Really savory veg soup recipie, please?

@IamMrsG wrote:

Again, this may not fit one's idea of 'soup.'  It's thick.  It's tasty.

Dom Deluise's Vegetable Stew 

Prep Time: 10 mins    Total Time: 1 hr       Servings: 6

"In the recipe description it said that this is one his mother's recipes. He states that it is very economical and was eaten frequently in his home growing up. Placed here for safe keeping, but sounds great! This recipe would be a great "springboard" so to speak, as you could easily add in zucchini, green beans, turnips, corn, you name it! He suggests serving with a hot loaf of bread. This is a very BASIC recipe, just as my mom would have made it with little to no seasoning. I personally add 1 tsp or more of Italian Seasoning as well as about ½  tsp of Seasoning Salt and then Tobasco sauce to taste. GREAT comfort food."

4 Tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 onions, sliced
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 celery ribs, cut into ½ inch pieces
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
2 cups frozen peas
1 28 ounce can stewed tomatoes
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
8 leaves fresh basil, coarsely chopped
10 -12 button mushrooms, quartered
black pepper to taste

In a large pan, gently heat the oil, add the garlic and onions. Saute for a few minutes.

Then add the carrots and celery, potatoes, both kinds of tomatoes, pepper, oregano and basil; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are just tender. 

Add mushrooms and peas and allow the stew to cook for 5 minutes more.

Mrs. G's notes: We liked this dish as written, with no embellishing.  This re-warms very well.  Serve with a warm, crusty bread and a pinot noir.

This is pretty much what I do.  We use a lot of veggies so I would have home made veggie stock many times.

I always add corn and green beans, zucchini, and a can or two of rinsed beans--dark red kidney or some sort of white bean.

I also use Italian Herbs and a little dash of either hot sauce, lemon juice or vinegar!  Ina taught me that!   Sometimes I use some V8 Low sodium or tomato juice as part of the liquid.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm guessing a Vegetable Soup at a restaurant is just that...

vegetables. No bone this or meat that.

Why does it taste different than homemade?

Probably using roasted vegetables, carmalizing onions &

then deglazing all pans.  Also probably using a t.o.n. of

oil, salt & most likely sugar to balance the flavors out.  
Then add some MSG for optimum richness flavor....boom.

Restaurant-quality vegetable soup.

In reality, an old tennis shoe would be palatable with enough

MSG, salt, oil & sugar on it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie ,that is how I make my soup.  It is so flavourful.  I can eat a good soup for days.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

Carmie is right about the stew meat with bone.  My grandmother and mother always did that.  (Carmie, my family was also in the restaurant business).  My hemonc doctor told me that was the best thing I could do for my health, better than getting constant iron or blood infusions, to build up my hemoglobin, my overall health.  He also advised me to do beef and chicken livers at least twice monthly.  So, once I got built up artificially with infusions, I began eating livers and making root and marrow soups (as he calls them).  

I use sweet potatoes, celery, soup bones, garlic, kale, carrots, onions, garlic cloves, spices/herbs de Provence (you can get soup bones at the meat marketplace.  He told me there is more marrow in the second cooking than in the first, so feel free to reuse your marrow bones and besides, they are cheap).  

Honored Contributor

Spicy Sausage Soup

2 medium size sweet potatoes, chopped

1 pound bulk hot or mild pork sausage

(You can use Italian but remove from casing)

1 cup chopped onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 (28-ounce each) can chicken broth

1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed

4 cups coarsely chopped kale

2 Roma tomatoes, chopped

Parmesan Cheese Crisps (optional)

Directions

In a Dutch oven, cook meat, onion, and garlic until meat is browned, stirring to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Place potatoes in Dutch oven.

Stir broth and Italian seasoning into mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, cooking until potatoes are tender. Stir in kale; cook just until wilted. Stir in tomato; cook for 1 minute more. If desired, top each serving with Parmesan Cheese Crisps.

FREEZING: Prepare soup . Let soup cool. Transfer soup to a freezer-safe container (I use gallon-size bags), leaving about 1/2 inch of space between the top of the soup and the rim of the container. Label and freeze up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove-top. Make the Parmesan Crisps the day you are serving the soup.

Respected Contributor

I mix a combination of chicken stock and beef connsume - sometimes also add additional packets of the Herb-Ox salt free beef or chicken to taste. 

Trusted Contributor

If you're looking for a veggie soup without meat that's lower carb and low calorie, this one is very good.  https://www.wholesomeyum.com/keto-low-carb-vegetable-soup-recipe/

It has "keto" in the name, but it's not a typical keto soup as it's very low in fat.  It's also low in calories and carbs but it's very tasty.  I made it last week and really enjoyed it.

Her website has a ton of recipes for all different types of food plans - keto, paleo, dairy free, vegetarian, etc.  I've tried a bunch of them and they've all been fantastic.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

ITA  with making homemade stock. Canned chicken or beef stock just taste stale & like a can. That's where the flavor comes from. Herbs, vegetables, water won't add much flavor.

If you really want great soup, make your own. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Wegman's stocks (not broth).  I think it has tremendous amount of richness that I can't get when I do homemade (which for me tastes too watery).  The Wegman's stocks are lower in sodium than Swanson LOW SODIUM Broths!  I don't need to use a lot of salt if any.

I get my flavor from the spices/herbs I add though.

For example:

Using tomatoes, I add Smoked Paprika

Using beef, I add porcini mushroom powder many times.

Using chix, I add tarragon

Etc etc.    I have a huge stash of all kinds of spices and herbs.

I make soup year round!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dodies  I came across a recipe for minestrone soup that called for 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar.  I didn't have red wine vinegar, but did have a bottle of balsamic vinegar and added it to the soup, and the flavor it added was amazing!  

The recipe I use is Hearty Minestrone Soup from the Brand New Vegan website.

fullsizeoutput_4c8.jpeg