Contributor

Anyone catch the name of that recipe?

David was sampling a recipe in the LeCruset presentation made with bread, carmelized onions and I think they said gryre cheese.......did anyone catch what that recipe is called or have a recipe for it??  David said he did a shortcut version of the recipe in his 3rd cookbook...........if anyone has that cookbook and willing to post it, I would be a happy camper.......TIA!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone catch the name of that recipe?

@texasheart   It piqued my interest, too. Woman Happy

Cheese & Onion Panade

Serves 4–6 Total Time: 2 Hours

1 stick butter, divided
6 medium onions, sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon  salt, divided
2 cups spinach or chard leaves, lightly packed
6 cups day-old crusty bread, torn into pieces
2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
3 cups chicken stock, warm

To make the caramelized onions, melt ½ stick of butter in a large Dutch oven over low to medium heat. Add the onions, sugar, and 1/8 tsp salt, then reduce the heat to low. Cook slowly for about 45–50 minutes until deep golden brown.

Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Wash, dry, and roughly shred the greens, then add to the pot with the onions. Add the remaining 1/8 tsp salt. Stir a few times and cover with the lid to steam until wilted. Remove the lid, then remove 2/3 of the onion and greens to a bowl.

Layer 1/3 of the bread on top of the onion and greens remaining in the pot and top with 1/3 of the grated cheese. Repeat with 2 more layers of onions and greens, bread, and cheese, sprinkling a little black pepper with each layer. Slowly pour the warm stock over the top of the panade, then let sit for 10 minutes so the bread can absorb the liquid.

Cover with the lid and bake in the oven for 50 minutes, then remove and increase the temperature to 375°F. Remove the lid, dot the top with the remaining ½ stick of butter (cut into pieces), and bake uncovered for another 15–20 minutes until golden and crisp on top.

Provided by Chef Nate Collier of Le Creuset.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Contributor

Thank you soooo very much.........I didn't catch the name of the recipe to do a search on it............it looked fabulous.........Thank you again ffor posting!!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @texasheart  for asking this, and thanks @IamMrsG for tracking this down. I will definitely make this in the near future! When I heard it referred to in David's show, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG  Thanks for posting this recipe. I'm going to make it.